St Michael's sports champions late 60s/early 70s

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

St Michael's sports champions late 60s/early 70s

Post by down south »

I find I have some pictures of St Michael's sports champions in my old papers, and here is the first of them, from 1968.

Joseph Timmons came from Caledonia Road in Saltcoats, son of the manager of the Regal, and there's some discussion of him here, from which you'll see he kept up his sporting connections.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: St Michael's sports champions late 60s/early 70s

Post by down south »

This second picture shows just the girl champions from 1969:

But I can tell you from an accompanying article that Joe Timmons had advanced to senior champion; while the junior boys' champion was Thomas Timmons, possibly his younger brother.

There were no pictures in 1970 but Joe Timmons and Patricia Walker both retained their crowns, while the junior champions were Derek Carr and Irene Walker.

And Joe Timmons made it a hat-trick of championships the following year, with his ( presumed ) brother as runner-up in the senior boys category; the champions of 1971 are pictured here.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: St Michael's sports champions late 60s/early 70s

Post by down south »

Moving on to 1972 and Thomas Timmons was now senior boys champion; senior girls champion was Isobel McDonald, while the juniors were John Hill and Marie McCluskie.

No picture for that year but there is for 1973:

You'll see that Marie McCluskie was again junior girls champion and she completed a hat-trick in 1974. Deirdre Scott also retained her senior girls title ; while senior boy then was Michael Gray and junior boy Michael Dillon.

Susan