School trips

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: School trips

Post by MANBEAR »

bonzo wrote:Jings, mind the belt? Worse thing they ever done was get rid of it.
I mind the belt and mr weir and mr Bryson hit hard blamed the belt on my bad writing :roll:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg wrote:
bonzo wrote:Why is that? You DID something wrong you got 2 of the belt you learned a lesson. Now kids do something wrong they get suspended or expelled. I'd take the belt any day of the week.
South Ayrshire has a policy of "non exclusion" - not sure about the other Ayrshires - and expulsion is no longer allowed in Scottish schools.

Meg
Thats a good thing Meg. The college 11-16 years old where i live in in England was changed to an Academy recently and the first thing the New Principal done was to exclude many pupils with any behavior issues even though he had a healthy budget from the poor Pupil premium.Yes the exam results have improved,but at a cost.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Manbear I went to auchenharvie, there was 3 PE teachers called Walker. Auld Walker, big Walker and young Walker. Auld Walker was the only teacher that brought a tear to my eye when he wielded the belt, he hit you a fair skelp.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Only ever got the belt once from a science teacher.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote:Only ever got the belt once from a science teacher.
Interesting, was the teacher male or female?
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Male. He was fed up with my loud mouth at the time. Not like this at all now.. Could do with some of that back.

He used to get cross because my mum used to let me stay up until 10 pm on a school night. He believed the kids should be in bed after 9 pm.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Vivc113 wrote:Male. He was fed up with my loud mouth at the time. Not like this at all now.. Could do with some of that back.

He used to get cross because my mum used to let me stay up until 10 pm on a school night. He believed the kids should be in bed after 9 pm.
How did he know this and why should he?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Even then male teachers belting females would be frowned upon. During my time in secondary I never saw a girl belted. I found out later from a friend that the art teacher Mason belted her in third year and she was still upset about it in later life. Abhorrent and sick to belt girls. Thank goodness corporal punishment is banned to-day.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

morag wrote:
Vivc113 wrote:Male. He was fed up with my loud mouth at the time. Not like this at all now.. Could do with some of that back.

How did he know this and why should he?
He had actually asked me at the time. Looking back, it was an odd thing to be asked (!!)
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

sheenaj wrote:Whilst at Saltcoats Junior High I got the opportunity to go on the school cruise on the S.S.Uganda.1968. Went to Ponta Delgado,Vigo and Madeira. It was my first big holiday without parents. Had an absolute blast. I bought a little carved 3 sail ship from a vendor in Madeira-I still have it.Anyone else on that cruise?
Aye, throwing up in the Bay of Biscuit Magic
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

Apart from 2 weeks holiday at Westlinton , the trips out I loved the best was the ship launch all the the school went it was great fun the last one I remember was the ship Buffalow and a big trawler for Joe Crone it was the Elisabeth paton of my memory is still working what a day it must have been one of the last lauching we went down to view .
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Harry,

The launch of the ELIZABETH PATON would take you back to the 7th of April 1960; and the BUFFALO to the 2nd of May 1961.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.