School trips

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

School trips

Post by bonzo »

After spending the weekend in York it took me back to my glencairn primary 5 school holiday there brought back a lot of memories.

In primary 7 we went to valkenburg in Holland. I also remember day trips to Millport and a tour round the wonderloaf at various times at primary school.

The only trip I can remember going on at Auchenharvie was a day trip to Stirling but my time at the academy was when the teachers were not doing out of school activities so I think that curtailed school trips.

What about everyone else where did you go on school trips?
Those wimin were in the nip.
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: School trips

Post by sheenaj »

Whilst at Saltcoats Junior High I got the opportunity to go on the school cruise on the S.S.Uganda.1968. Went to Ponta Delgado,Vigo and Madeira. It was my first big holiday without parents. Had an absolute blast. I bought a little carved 3 sail ship from a vendor in Madeira-I still have it.Anyone else on that cruise?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

While at St.Michael's went on Dunera ? cruise to Sweden, Denmark and Russia. Loved it! My older sis had been on a previous one I think Portugal was one stop.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

sheenaj wrote:Whilst at Saltcoats Junior High I got the opportunity to go on the school cruise on the S.S.Uganda.1968. Went to Ponta Delgado,Vigo and Madeira. It was my first big holiday without parents. Had an absolute blast. I bought a little carved 3 sail ship from a vendor in Madeira-I still have it.Anyone else on that cruise?
I knew I knew the name SS Uganda just Googled it there, it was a hospital ship in the Falklands conflict.
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

Went on the Nevassa to Vigo, Lisbon and Madeira. Had a great time and it was the first time I had been abroad. The ship came back into Sunderland so the first time that I set foot in England was in Sunderland!!

Scott McCallum
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

bonzo wrote:After spending the weekend in York it took me back to my glencairn primary 5 school holiday there brought back a lot of memories.

In primary 7 we went to valkenburg in Holland. I also remember day trips to Millport and a tour round the wonderloaf at various times at primary school.

The only trip I can remember going on at Auchenharvie was a day trip to Stirling but my time at the academy was when the teachers were not doing out of school activities so I think that curtailed school trips.

What about everyone else where did you go on school trips?
You have to have been in my class... I recognise every one of these. Valkenburg... that's right... had forgotten the name of the place. They had the tobagan run.... so exciting for young kids. And the windmills to buy.... my mum still has a windmill somewhere. :mrgreen:

And the bar in the guest house. As kids, we somehow wound up in there. I can remember it so clearly, as well as the street. Remember sitting with Linda Ferguson drinking cola and feeling oh-so grown up.

Mr Hershaw was on that trip. With Miss Stockton. He married her later on, or he was married to her at that point. He was bad tempered. Even belted one of the pupils for badly behaving.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Compared to the above posts our Kyleshill School day trip to Edinburgh seems like a walk to the shops. Went to visit the zoo, Princes Street and the Forth bridge, that was a big deal back in the fifties. Never mind I've made up for it travelling ever since.

Wee Boney
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Viv I think I was a year above you but yes I remember the tobogan I fell off it hahaha. I was wearing a paper jacket (made of nylon stuff) and as I slid down the run it melted into my arm. No health and safety in those days :lol:

I didn't mind Mr hersaw but I can't remember him on the Dutch trip, Mrs palmer and Mrs raeburn were there.
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

I knew I knew the name SS Uganda just Googled it there, it was a hospital ship in the Falklands conflict.[/quote]
Yes It did!
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

bonzo wrote:Viv I think I was a year above you but yes I remember the tobogan I fell off it hahaha. I was wearing a paper jacket (made of nylon stuff) and as I slid down the run it melted into my arm. No health and safety in those days :lol:

I didn't mind Mr hersaw but I can't remember him on the Dutch trip, Mrs palmer and Mrs raeburn were there.
Mrs Palmer...there's a flashback name. Would she have been quite a stout lady? P5. I think we had Mrs Savage. Wonder if she is still on the go?

Cannot remember a Raeburn.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Mrs palmer was my teacher in P5 and P6 she is a family friend of ours met her about this time last year she was still going strong.

Mrs raeburn was an auxiliary type can't remember her actual title.
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

sheenaj wrote:Whilst at Saltcoats Junior High I got the opportunity to go on the school cruise on the S.S.Uganda.1968. Went to Ponta Delgado,Vigo and Madeira. It was my first big holiday without parents. Had an absolute blast. I bought a little carved 3 sail ship from a vendor in Madeira-I still have it.Anyone else on that cruise?
Also on that cruise. Had a great time as a 14 year old. Memories of Funchal me and a mate going into a street bar, asked for two cokes and got two MeEwan's Screwtaps.......fantastic!!!
Also a crowd of us entered a large department store to be met by the manager and ushered upstairs to what I can only describe as a "Tasting Room" for Madiera wines. He served us up all sorts before realising we weren't buying. Happy happy wavy wavy going back to the ship.

Loads of tales of that adventure..