Techie Teachers- Stevenston High

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Techie Teachers- Stevenston High

Post by Vinegarjoe »

Anyone remember the Techie teachers in the wee prefab building?

I remember "Spud" Thompson who used to gee ye a scud on the head (i.e Everybody!!) on the way into Techie Drawing, just before you thought of getting out of line!!

Then there was Jimmy Robson, taught woodwork and Applied Mechanics. Best of the lot. Nice we man I think from around Killie way.

Then there was "Skimp" Fraser, Skimp 'cos he had a gammy leg, (can I say that these days??) wore a brown dust coat, and was not averse to slinging the blackboard duster or a wooden mallet halfway up the class at you if you misbehaved!!!!

From memory it was Tech Drawing to the left, Applied Mechanics next. Teachers Staff Room in the middle and woodwork to the right.

Anybody remember this?
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Techie Teachers- Stevenston High

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yes indeed, Spud Thomson was a one off. First day at woodwork we were given a piece of wood to plane down. We brought our finished products to him and he was so put out with one boy's piece that he hit him over the head with it. He then picked up two pieces of wood and slammed them to-gether declaring that if he ever saw this rubbish again our heads would be slammed between two pieces of wood. He was a Philistine and an ignoramus. He would examine your work and say, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever so said Samuel Pepys but he never saw that." However he did design some nice scenes for the Easter parade. I think he would have liked to have been a cultured person but this had passed him by.
boots1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Techie Teachers- Stevenston High

Post by boots1 »

Mr Thompson - Died in 1994 Was from Irvine He was aged 79 when died, He went to Auchenharvie untill 1978,

Mr Fraser was only at Auchenharvie for 1 year he Retired and he Died in 1979 he wasent very old when he died,