Eglinton Class Photo - around 1956-60

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Eglinton Class Photo - around 1956-60

Post by Bob Bryden »

Penny Tray,
1963 doesn't sound right. I remember having 2 teachers at Eglinton - Mrs Skelly & another woman whose name I forget. In Mrs Skelly's class we were in I think a pre-fab building by the fence next to the main road & my last class was round the back of the main building in a classroom sandwiched between 2 others. In other words you had to go through one of the other classroms either side to get in or out of our classroom. I recall telling our teacher in the latter classroom that I would be leaving shortly as we were emigrating to N.Z. & had passage booked on the Southern Cross leaving Southampton on 28.5.1963.

One day in Mrs. Skelly's class we had a student teacher there as well & we had an arts lesson where one of the girls sat up front & we had to draw her - I think it was Susan Farrer but I'm not sure. After we handed in our efforts I was told mine was very artistic & the student teacher was going to take it back to the teachers' college to show her tutors. Never heard anymore about it & my artistic endeavours fizzled out there.

Bob
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Bob Bryden wrote:I agree that extreme right hand end of back row looks like me but can't remember when it was taken. I started at Winton School in 1956 when I was 5 but forget when I moved up to Eglinton. So if I started at Winton in 1956
when would I likely have moved to Eglinton? I'm afraid I don't recognise any of the others in the photo. I recognise myself in the Eglinton photo as I look the same as in my first N.Z. class photo.

Names I recall as Eglinton classmates are:- Tom Brookes, Betty Wilson, Anne McKinnon, Susan Farrer, Harvey Smith, Ian McKenzie, Robert Slessor, Moira Kerr, Jean McDougall, Hugo Harper & I think Angie Mills. Can't remember any more. I met up with Tom Brookes & Moira Kerr on my only visit back to Ardrossan in 1974. At that time Tom & his wife were living in either Seton or Winton St. & I met Moira & her husband at a relative of theirs just across from my old home in Churchill Drive. I've sinc e seen Hugo's name mentioned in connection with Winton Rovers - he & I sat next to each other in my last Eglinton class. Also several years ago I had a brief e-mail from Robert Slessor after he'd seen my name mentioned but that contact didn't continue. I seem to recall that at that time he was in Australia. I know Ian McKenzie's been in Victoria, B.C., Canada since 1979 but have lost touch with him too.

It's such a long time ago. After all it was 52 years on the 1st. of this month since we first set foot in N.Z. Originally 5 of us but now just me.

I left Eglinton on 22nd. or 23rd. May 1963 as we left Ardrossan on the first stage of our voyage to N.Z. on 24th. May 1963.

Bob
Bob, Robert Slessor is still in Queensland, Australia. I can put him in contact with you if you like, Netta
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

I had a blether with Harvie Smith on Friday evening about this class photo . He was more than certain that it was taken at the end of term 1961, the class teacher was Mrs/Miss ? Seggie.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons