local sea anglers

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

local sea anglers

Post by little plum »

In Fridays Daily Record (18 July 08 )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: local sea anglers

Post by Alexmac442 »

I think I must have spent years fishing at the lighthouse pier, then a few more at Various locations from Ardrossan to Greenock. There were a few characters around at that time, who remembers the "King rag" and could anyone beat Ward Graham at casting or even catching fish!! A diver came there one day, on a big motor bike, changed into his gear, dived down and came back with 2 big lobsters. A certain well known "local" asked him "can I buy one of your lobsters"? "Sure" said the diver, "leave a couple of quid on the bike and take the small one". As soon as the diver went back down our friend vanished with both the lobsters! Diver was really pissed off, big guy too and of course none of us knew the thief!!!
Alex
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

Alexmac442 wrote:........... A diver came there one day, on a big motor bike, changed into his gear, dived down and came back with 2 big lobsters. A certain well known "local" asked him "can I buy one of your lobsters"? "Sure" said the diver, "leave a couple of quid on the bike and take the small one". As soon as the diver went back down our friend vanished with both the lobsters! ...........
Wow! :shock:

Not nice! :evil:
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Alexmac442 wrote:I think I must have spent years fishing at the lighthouse pier, then a few more at Various locations from Ardrossan to Greenock.Alex
Hi Alex
Greenock prom, Ashton cafe and the yacht slip in Gourock, Mc Inroys point , The Cloch Lighthouse and then down to Wymess bay and Skelmorlie, all great venues. I dont recognise the names you have posted here's some that I remember. John and Dick Donnell (sp) Bill Currie, Sammy Thompson, Tam Hyslop all Saltcoats club and a lad called Jolly, he was a joiner and smoked a pipe. There was also a lad who wanted to be known as L.D.C. ( long distance caster) I don't remember his name. There was Bud Mc Clymont from the Ardrossan club and a fellow called Bennett, originally from Stevenston
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

Plum., I only remember a couple of those guys, but you have jogged my memory on the various venues! The best long distance caster iI knew (and best bloody catcher of fish) was Ward Graham.
Alex
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi Alex, are you still actively involved in fishing, if not, I'm sure the bug will still be there.
Modern equipment has vastly improved the capabilities of the average anglers casting abilities, rods of carbon fibre and Kevlar, multiplier reels with magnetic brakes etc. but like any sport you will always get individuals who will excel. The only problem now is, there are very few fish in the Clyde. :evil:
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

Plum., Haven't fished for many a year! still had my old 1960's Hardy longbow beachcaster when I left UK pemanently in 2003, I had just got back on leave from Turkey and had to pick my clothes up from the driveway, garden, fishpond etc etc so didn't have room for it, don't know where it is now!
Nearest place for fishing now is the Mekong river that separates Thailand from Laos but it just wouldn't be the same and my sndwiches would be rotten without the garnish of ragworms and fishguts!! I am sure they tasted better then.
Alex
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Alex, the Hardy " Longbow " was top of the range at that time , I used the Hardy " Victor" a lighter rod that matched your requirements. I also remember a Hardy " tourney"
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

My middle son is on a fishing binge right now..can't get enough of it and he's quite lucky (I'd never tell him it's anything but luck :lol: , only kidding :roll: ). We had some trout recently, courtesy of his skills, very nice indeed!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

Plum., I nearly smoked myself to death for that rod. The longbow cost 29 quid, a fortune in those days, I got it through Embassy coupons and cash together!
Alex
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Alexmac442 wrote:Plum., I nearly smoked myself to death for that rod. The longbow cost 29 quid, a fortune in those days, I got it through Embassy coupons and cash together!
Alex
Alex, with the price of "Hardy" gear now you would have to give up smoking altogether. :roll:
I remember the Embassy catalogue system, a blast from the past, you could buy, sell or exchange and if you were collecting them for something, pick them up off the street. :lol: which I did many a time. Varonica's shop was always looking to purchase the coupons
When my 2 sons were younger I introduced them to sea angling by taking them down to Stevenston shore , showing them how to get bait and fishing for Flounders from the shore. I also mixed this in with freshwater fishing, and looking back I'm glad that I did. As they got more skilled with their gear , I took them to various marks up the Clyde. There are very few fish left in the Clyde but my youngest son had the bug, he would drag me all over the country, along with his pal. On the west coast we fished from the Solway to Loch Etive at Oban and on the east coast we fished , Arbroath, Stonehaven, Portleithan and Cove just short of Aberdeen. I'm getting to old to be climbing the cliffs on the Aberdeenshire coast so haven't fished there for a couple or more years. :lol: We tend to fish more rivers and lochs now, and the reservours which are stocked with American Rainbow Trout.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Alexmac442 wrote:Plum., I nearly smoked myself to death for that rod. The longbow cost 29 quid, a fortune in those days, I got it through Embassy coupons and cash together!
Alex
I remember getting a 7.5 Mercury outboard engine with embassy coupons. It was around 70,000 coupons.
It actually worked out cheaper to buy the coupons rather than buy the engine direct.
My mum worked in my uncles shop and used to buy them for me. In those days people would buy single fags so she also got the coupons from the opened packets,and the tobacco reps who supplied them would also give some freebie coupons.
And I don't even smoke.
Idiot - seeks village.