local sea anglers

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: local sea anglers

Post by little plum »

Richard, there were at least 2 local lads on the Scottish federation record list, don't know how you would check this out, it must have been 40 years ago, or there abouts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Richard

Post by Richard »

LP,
That previous link, regarding Hamish Currie fae Saltcoats, was a good one.
I thought that was a bit of a monster, until I came across the Scottish AND British record for a Porbeagle.
It was caught in Scottish waters, (off Dunnet Head, Caithness), in 1993 by a C.Bennet and weighed 507lb.
Almost twice the size of the one caught by Hamish.
I think I would be cutting my line.
:lol:

I have managed to find this list of Scottish sea fishing records, but I have a couple of problems with it.
Firstly, again, the dates are not specific but I think I can do more about that ?
Secondly, I don't know if any of the record holders are Threetowners. Only giving their first initials makes
it harder for me to possibly identify them.
As you will see, from the link, a few of these records were caught in "Ayrshire" waters, but it's not clear,
to me, who the record holders are.
Would you mind, If you get some time, scrolling down the list and see if there is anybody you can identify
as having a 3T' or Ayrshire connection ?
Would very much appreciate any help you can give.

http://www.ukseafishing.com/faq/scottis ... _reco.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Richard, had a look through the list and nothing jumps out at me. As you say, some records are from Ayrshire but this isn't an indicator of where the angler hails from. At one time the Clyde coast was the place to be, anglers would travel from far and wide to fish shore or boat. The only possible way that I can think of for obtaining relevant facts would be through the governing body, The Scottish Federation of Sea Anglers. They had set the rules for the submission of a potential record catch, (anglers never tell lies about what they catch :lol: ) If I remember correctly it was, name an address of captor, 2 witnesses names and addresses and where the fish was weighed, the scales had to be a set that was regularly tested by the " weights and measures" this was usually a shopkeepers set .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank's for checking that out for me LP and thank's for the extra info.
I'll just need to keep looking.
:roll:
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Ardrossan harbour is fishing well for Mackerel just now. A Grey Seal has taken up residence and has intercepted the odd fish or two on the way in.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Forgot to mention that one my mates caught a sea bass in Saltcoats harbour a few weeks back while spinning a lure. I was a bit suspect of this claim but he did provide visual evidence on his mob phone images, he also informed me that a angler at the harbour had caught 3 bass on bait.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Managed to get into Saltcoats yesterday for a few hours and after a couple of pints at Bobby's Bar
I came across a wee fishing tackle shop just a few doors along, on Countess Street.
I think it's called "Splash Sports" or something similar ?
I've seen the shop before, even given daytrippers directions to it, but this time I actually went over
for a closer/proper look.
Was very impressed with their prices and wide variety of stock on all things "fishing".
Would recommend this wee shop to anyone visiting the 3Ts and planning on doing a spot of fishing or
simply just wanting to stock-up on some new fishing gear etc.
One of the things that caught my eye was a Pike & Carp rod, reel & line, for £30.
I thought that was very good, especially when you consider that you can't buy the latest FIFA leather
football for that kind of money. Nor will any ball ever bring you in a few tasty dinners.
Nice to see some shops still providing relatively cheap access to a very worthwhile & relaxing hobby/sport.
Good luck to the owners.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Richard wrote:I came across a wee fishing tackle shop just a few doors along, on Countess Street.
I think it's called "Splash Sports" or something similar ?Good luck to the owners.
Richard, couldn't agree more. If I need bits and bobs I give them my custom hoping to make a contribution to their survival. The lack of fish locally has seen the demise of 3 t's sea fishing clubs and cheap on line shopping makes it very difficult for small businesses.
Your post had the old grey cells working with regards to Saltcoats fishing tackle shops.
Woolworths sold some fishing tackle and I'm sure it was under the trade name of " Winfield".
This ones a bit hazy, in Wellpark Rd there was a shop/business premises for a driving school run by Brennan. I'm sure he was a keen angler and sold tackle from there as a side line. Sam might elaborate
A shop opened in Winton St, but I don't recall it lasting long.
Sports and rainwear in Hamilton St had a very limited selection and I seem to recall an outlet in the indoor market in Windmill St.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

The shop you mention wasnt in Wellpark Rd but in Springvale st.it was ran by j. Brennan who had a driving school.Milda and Maggie T will remember it as Miss Lukes sweetie shop.In fact Maggie T's house is built on the exact site.
Richard

Post by Richard »

LP:
I too can remember an outlet at the indoor market in Saltcoats, but seem to remember it as being
not very well stocked, just the basics ?
I also bought my very first one-piece boat rod & reel in the 3Ts.
It ended up getting used more on my regular trips to Portencross Pier, than in our boat, but I can't
for the life of me, remember where? Two places keep nipping away at my head;
1: From the shop that sits/sat at the corner of Glasgow/Princess Streets in Ardrossan. The shop was
mainly a newsagents but also sold various small toys and a small selection of "sporting goods" etc etc.
But due to the quality of the rod & reel, I'm not sure this was the place ?
2: For some reason I've got it lingering around my head that it was from some shop near the main post
office in Saltcoats town centre? Again, I can't be sure ?
It's going to keep eating away at me now until I get it.
BTW: What's going on with Saltcoats harbour ????? The last 2 or 3 times I've visited the 3Ts, there has
not been one single boat in the harbour and it looks eerily strange ? On Saturday last, there was one
small camper-van parked up, but no people and no boats.
:?
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Sam, thanks for refreshing my memory, I was certain it was up around that area but couldn't remember the street
Richard wrote: I also bought my very first one-piece boat rod & reel in the 3Ts., but I can't
for the life of me, remember where? : For some reason I've got it lingering around my head that it was from some shop near the main post office in Saltcoats town centre? Again, I can't be sure ?
Richard, the only possibility I can think of in that area would be H.E. Rowes.

As for the boats in the harbour I think there could be a number of factors, the decline of fish stocks and the passing of the old boat owners. The old wooden/clinker built boats were high maintenance, at the end of the season they were removed from the harbour and placed on stilts along the harbour wall. As spring approached I used to love the smell there, the owners were busy preparing their craft for a new season, the smell of varnish, antifouling (red lead) paint and the salt air, magic. They used Paisley Crane Hire ( Stevenston) late 70's,early 80's to remove and return the boats to the water, minimum hire was 4 hrs, I suspect that the boat owners all chipped in. If you want to see boats in the 3t's now, take a drive around the streets. There are numerous boats on trailers in driveways/gardens ready to go, they use the slipways up and down the coast, a sign of modern times but very few fish
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

harris of saltcoats also sold fishing gear,i bought my first rod and reel from them, a milbro rod and a garcia mitchel multiplyer reel,and there was donaldson the bike shop (where the police station is now) he sold weights mackrel feathers and line, as for the line as i had never used a multiplyer reel before i was a regular in there buying line for about 10 days till i got used to it,he didnt sell rods or reels but just the tackle,and i bought my first tilley lamp from fullertons, you had to sign at the chemists for the meth for the tilley lamp,i still have the rod and the reel and did have the lamp up till a couple of years ago,as for the shop in countess street he ran competitions at the prom dont know if he still does,there was also a shop opposite the hip flask it was like the one in countess street just fishing gear but im not sure if he also sold rods an reels.
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
Last edited by brvhrtjimmy on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.