Alloa versus Dundee United

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Alloa versus Dundee United

Post by Penny Tray »

I’ve watched more football than I’ve had hot dinners but saw something interesting in this game last night.

Dundee United were awarded a very obvious shy which their player was about to take some yards further forward that he was entitled to do, the referee clearly point to where he wanted the shy taken from and whilst the Dundee United player gave ground, not as much as the referee wanted, and the referee then awarded the shy to Alloa. I’ve never seen that before. I didn't even know there was such a rule.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Alloa versus Dundee United

Post by margb »

Penny, I've not heard the word "shy" since I left Scotland. So good to see because I was beginning to think I was the only one.
Didn't know about that rule either but so many players seem to take a shy further up the field than where it goes out. So maybe its time for to h ave a changeover.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

New to me i had a look at the latest rules at Laws of the Game | Scottish Referees | Scottish FA website, no mention of a new rules regarding throw in /shy.
I kept an eye in on that game to see if Lawrence Shankland scored in this game, he failed.
Did Rangers and Celtic do a "John McGinn" by not securing his services earlier this year ?
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

English FA website says:

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... e-throw-in
The ball is in play when it enters the field of play. If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position. If the throw-in is not taken correctly it is retaken by the opposing team.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Brian,

I didn't get the impression that it was a new rule. The commentator mentioned it but just accepted it matter of fact.

Imagine if the principle was extended to penalty kicks - the last minute in an 'old firm' match - penalty awarded - the taker places a ball a wee bit too far to the front of the spot - the referee tells him to place it exactly on the spot - second time round he places it a wee bit too far to the side of spot - and the penalty goes up the other end of the park :roll: .

Thinking about it last night, I would have expected the referee to have had a stern word with the Dundee United player and then tell him to get on with it for a third time; or, maybe have had a stern word with him, book him for ungentlemanly conduct, and then tell him to get on with it.

Thinking about it now, the rules must deem it to be a "foul shy" - although the player's technique last night wasn't in doubt.

And Margb, it'll always be a "shy" for me :lol: .

Edit: Apologies Bruce, I hadn't seen your post there. That's interesting. The fact remains, having watched countless games, I've never witnessed the application of such a rule. Although, I repeat, there was nothing wrong with shy itself.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Thank you Penny.