American Football

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

American Football

Post by Meg »

Im in West Virginia visiting family and have just sat through three hours of American football - West Virginia were playing their first game of the season (and won) but what a palaver. If the game lasted 180 mins, there must only have been about 25 mins of action - and I wonder why it’s called football when there were only 3 kicks in the game. Entertaining though...
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: American Football

Post by morag »

All my kids played soccer, as it's called here, they loved it. Football? I'm still confused..little foot action. I'm not much of a sport fan, but I do like fencing (took lessons as a teen), rugby, other stuff. Absolutely abhor anything that uses, hurts animals.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Meg wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:22 pm Im in West Virginia visiting family and have just sat through three hours of American football - West Virginia were playing their first game of the season (and won) but what a palaver. If the game lasted 180 mins, there must only have been about 25 mins of action - and I wonder why it’s called football when there were only 3 kicks in the game. Entertaining though...
Hi Meg,

are you still in Virginia?
Are you expecting any bother from huricane Dorian?

JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

John Donnelly wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:54 am
Hi Meg,

are you still in Virginia?
Are you expecting any bother from huricane Dorian?

JD.
Hi John - I’m actually in West Virginia - a different state from Virginia but yes, it’s caused a bit of disruption to the end of our holiday. We started off in South Carolina where I have family, then we came up to West Virginia where I also have family and we were due to return to Charleston South Carolina tomorrow to fly home on Thursday but British Airways have cancelled our flight and rebooked us from Washington DC on Thursday. DC is only a couple of hours drive from here. It looks to be an absolute brammer of a storm and will cause a massive amount of damage - I think there’s a compulsory evacuation in the Carolinas tomorrow. This is a holiday weekend so there’s a lot of people already displaced. Scary...
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Keep safe and safe home. JD.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg, I hope you enjoyed your wee trip to West Virginia. Are the Blue Ridge Mountains a better sight on what you see in Arran.

Now to keep on topic - How many players start in the game in American Football . Good quiz question. :)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:18 pm Meg, I hope you enjoyed your wee trip to West Virginia. Are the Blue Ridge Mountains a better sight on what you see in Arran.

Now to keep on topic - How many players start in the game in American Football . Good quiz question. :)
Hi Brian - believe it or not I asked that question at the beginning of the Mountaineers game because it looked like there was a crowd milling about but it’s 11 on the field from a pool of 45! The mountains are part of the Appalachians - and include the Blue Ridge to the east and Alleghenies to the west - tree covered so much softer looking than Arran - but the highest in the range is around 4800 feet. Gorgeous place, loved being there.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Glad you enjoyed it Meg ! Just about to leave for a wee island in the English Channel. :)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:25 am Glad you enjoyed it Meg ! Just about to leave for a wee island in the English Channel. :)
Isle of Wight or Jersey? Whichever, hope you have a lovely holiday Brian.

Meg
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:53 am
brian f wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:25 am Glad you enjoyed it Meg ! Just about to leave for a wee island in the English Channel. :)

Meg
The, Isle of Wight, Meg, Had a lovely wee break for 4 nights :D

Just out of interest, The American Football game you watched, What refreshments do they indulge in during that long entertainment? Bud and hotdogs ...?
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:29 pm
Meg wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:53 am

Meg
The, Isle of Wight, Meg, Had a lovely wee break for 4 nights :D

Just out of interest, The American Football game you watched, What refreshments do they indulge in during that long entertainment? Bud and hotdogs ...?
Glad you enjoyed it Brian - as for the concession stands, hot dogs, nachos, sloppy joes all washed down with beer or coke. You aren’t allowed to take alcohol into grounds, but you can buy beer and hard cider in there. Smells like the fair at the Braes actually.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:41 am

Glad you enjoyed it Brian - as for the concession stands, hot dogs, nachos, sloppy joes all washed down with beer or coke. You aren’t allowed to take alcohol into grounds, but you can buy beer and hard cider in there. Smells like the fair at the Braes actually.
Meg, I always thought a sloppy joe was a jumper. After googling, It comes across as a posh equivalent to a roll on mince i used to purchase after the baths in Kilmarnock.