2018 World Football Cup - discussion

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2018 World Football Cup - discussion

Post by Meg »

michaelm wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:29 am Brian and Meg, I was thinking more along the lines of any Matches having to be played in extremely hot and humid temps. I would have thought that for health and safety reasons alone FIFA would have the final say whether a country was allowed to compete in the tournament in such circumstances. :)
Mind you, that would rule out Morocco, Egypt and Tunisia as well as Saudi, so I would guess that FIFA just stay out of it - and then no one could accuse them of interfering. Anyway - we’ll see if there’s a difference during the next round - although they would have had a huge Christmas type dinner on Eid day to end Ramadan - so that might have an even bigger impact :lol:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Was very impressed with Australia's efforts against France. Thought they were very disciplined but unfortunately in the end went down 2 - 1. Disappointing, but I think they should be proud of the way they played against one of the best teams in the world.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Allez Le bleu :D
Those wimin were in the nip.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Hughie wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:04 pm Was very impressed with Australia's efforts against France. Thought they were very disciplined but unfortunately in the end went down 2 - 1. Disappointing, but I think they should be proud of the way they played against one of the best teams in the world.
Yes, I thought the Aussie team acquitted themselves very well.
Not impossible, but they'll most likely need to win against Denmark in their next game now to keep alive their hopes of qualifying from the group.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Is it just me or, other than the Spain/Portugal match, has the overall spectacle, up until now, been a "damp squib"?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I think the first 2 games in each group will be on the whole cagey. Teams would be happy with draws and have a go in the 3rd game.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Penny Tray wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:05 pm Is it just me or, other than the Spain/Portugal match, has the overall spectacle, up until now, been a "damp squib"?
For as far back as I can remember, most of the opening group matches have been cagey affairs because team's know that if they lose their first match of the 3 it could leave them with a bit of an uphill battle to qualify.
Even a draw in the first game - unless against supposedly vastly inferior opposition - is usually considered to be a decent result.
This tournament will come alive eventually. :)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:05 pm Is it just me or, other than the Spain/Portugal match, has the overall spectacle, up until now, been a "damp squib"?
And just to contradict myself - Germany/Mexico - how exciting. VIVA LA MEXICO!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

The first shock of the finals, Mexico beat Germany 1-0.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Penny Tray wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:50 pm
And just to contradict myself - Germany/Mexico - how exciting. VIVA LA MEXICO!
Penny Tray-Swings and roundabouts. Brazil 1 Switzerland 1 - game was Rubbish ...
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Oh for the days when we had one match commentator, somebody who prepared meticulously for games, particularly with regard to managers, players, backroom staff, and tactics, and delivered their detail with aplomb at relevant moments.

When you have two, the 'small talk' between them is very distracting. Personally, when I'm trying to concentrate on the finer points of the game, I'm not interested in how good an omelette the Swedish team chef makes; the behaviour of the Swedish fans in a hotel the night before; where Russian tanks are made; how many Nobel Prize nominees the host city has had, etc, etc!

It's much the same when you have half-time panels comprising a host and three guests, all of whom feel they have to say something to justify themselves. Sometimes they would be better saying nothing. Let's have a professional TV person and one knowledgeable football person.

Sometimes I think the whole thing is just a junket for retired players and managers, most of whom are already millionaires!

That's my moan after just one game today!
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I agree with most of what you say there PT as there's definitely no Arthur Montford, Archie McPherson, or Alex Cameron type's anywhere to be seen these day's.
Guys like that were true professional's and the modern crop of mercenaries couldn't even lace their boot's.