2018 World Football Cup - discussion

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: 2018 World Football Cup - discussion

Post by michaelm »

Had to laugh at one of the English commentator's after his team lost 2 - 0 to Belgium today .. he said " You have to remember that the Belgian squad are about 6 or 7 years in front of us in terms of development " and this from the same guy who was saying only last week .. " We can win this, we really can " :lol:

Anyway, on to the final tomorrow. France will start as favourites but Croatia have shown that they're no mugs and deserve to be there as well.
Whoever wins, hopefully we get an exciting Match. :)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Michael, it's the commentary that puts me off..... We've spent the last month listening to their jingoistic (land of hope and glory) nonsense.
England probably had their perfect storm on their road to the final and blew it. Can't help thinking if Belgium had came second in that group they would be gearing up to be world champions.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

We have Martin Tyler commentating for us in Australia through our SBS free to air channel.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Oh well that's it over for another 4 years. Well done France. I really thought Croatia were going to do it but hey Ho.
I can remember world cups back to 1974 and I dare say a few of you can remember many more but I think that has been the best world cup so far. Plenty of goals some great football and a fair bit of controversy with the most open final I can remember. Also well done to Russia for putting on a great show, I for one was sceptical of them hosting but they did well.
Those wimin were in the nip.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Great match but an absolutely awful refereeing performance. The free kick decision which led directly to the first goal was laughable to say the least and the penalty award for the second - when the ref had ample time to view it on the screen - was right up there on the Richter Scale of downright incompetence.

France won, but did they really deserve to ? Not for me folks.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

We were sitting having a very late lunch in a cafe in the middle of Paris amongst hoards of French supporters watching the match yesterday and found it strange to be amongst people who expected to win! Weird concept to Scots :lol: