The Melbourne Cup - 2017

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

The Melbourne Cup - 2017

Post by Hughie »

It's the only time the wife and I have a bet each year. We each put a few dollars on every race (Win and Place) and have a wee glass of wine and nibbles while she watches the fashions. The trainer of the horse the wife has picked in the cup is Hughie Morrison - that's why she picked it she saw the name Hughie ... Awe! :roll:

Gambling ads on TV are getting out of hand here in Oz. Legislation is needed to control these ads on TV.

creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: The Melbourne Cup - 2017

Post by creamolafoam »

Always follow this with interest (along with caulfield cup) every yr. we get live racing from Australia every morning here nearly every day of the yr, but out with our great set up of uk racing, I really do enjoy the big international meeting, breeders cup being one, which has just came to a successful conclusion from del mar USA last night.
But the Melbourne cup this yr has stirred up real interest from Scottish racing fans as we have a runner & a genuine contender to win it this yr. the horse in question is Nakeeta from the Iain Jardine yard based in Dumfries. It won the Ebor at York recently, a huge win for all concerned & so the connections decided to to give at a go at Flemington for the big one.
I will be letting the heart rule the head & put a little on ew (around 25/1 at the moment) & hope it runs a huge race, albeit from a poor draw.
Another one with a real chance from over here is Hughie Morrison’s Marmelo, who has form from that part of the world. A British winner of the Melbourne cup is long overdue, let’s hope it’s this yr.
On a wee side note, I noticed this week the connections of the imperious winx from Australia, are thinking of coming over for royal ascot next yr. would be a great coup if they did, & would be a huge success along the lines of black caviar who came over a couple of yrs back and blew us all away.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

Do you know if the number of runners has been reduced from 24 to 23?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Have to check on the scratchings nearer to the big race, Penny. It's a big field but being a few days out I'd imagine the final field would be around 20. Put your money on Hughie - oor Betty has. :roll:
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

I always pick four horses, just come back from the Tab, put a couple of dollars on Nakeeta each way could not resist it first Scottish horse in the Melbourne cup, also got a couple of bottlesof Bubbly in ice, its a long day..
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Who " Shot the barman" has been scratched Hughie..
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Good luck with your picks tomorrow, Sarah. Betty has $1 each way in all the races - big spender. She just loves the fashions.

creamolafoam, Winx is getting a lot of attention after 21 straight wins. She's now reputed to be the best female horse in the world according to one article I read. She'd draw a crowd at Royal Ascot if it happens.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I'm going to cheer on Bondi Beach and Hartnell.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Feeling patriotic, so I am cheering on Nakeeta.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I have three runners in the cup @ $5 each way:

Almandin
Max Dynamite
Big Duke

All stabs in the dark - what do I know! :roll:
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Don't bet but thought Narkeeta did well coming 5th. Thought that young apprentice who substituted did so well on Thomas Hobson horse coming from the back to get 6th.
It's an amazing race cos you just never know who's going to win.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Not a good betting day at the McCallum household. :( I got a first and a second, but bombed out in the cup. Wife got a second and a third and I think she had three scratchings.