Back to Back Hole in Ones.

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Back to Back Hole in Ones.

Post by michaelm »

Thought about putting this in the sports forum, but decided here would be more apt. If not then please move it.
The Wednesday is always the final practice day at Pro. golf tournaments and in keeping with tradition they have a 9 hole par 3 Comp. on that day every year at the U.S. Masters, Augusta.

This is from last years Masters. Justin Thomas holes in one, then Ricky Fowler does it too. Jordan Spieth then hits the green with a great shot, but unfortunately that one didn't go in.
Last edited by michaelm on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Back to Back Hole in Ones.

Post by brian f »

I wonder what the odds on that would have been Michaelm ?
If only we had a shot of the ball rolling in the hole :D
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Pretty sure the odds on that happening would have been astronomical brian.

The video above was obviously shot by a spectator, but though there's no
footage there of either ball actually dropping into the hole, I still think it's better
than this Pro. media version.

There's a lot more atmosphere and the camera shake on the spectator's video
also adds a bit more realism to it for me.
Sometimes a Pro. film crew with a tripod and all the latest techy editing
software can simply get beat by an amateur standing in the right place with
a low budget video camera in his hand. :wink:
Last edited by michaelm on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

And not wanting to miss the chance to add my own wee 15 mins of fame here.

I do indeed have a 'Hole in One' accredited to my name. It was on a Club outing to Millport Golf Club in October 2007. A well struck 7 iron at the par three 4th just managed to clear the bunkers guarding the front of the green and then duly ran straight into the hole.

There were no spectators other than my 3 playing partners, but I can definitely say that the amount of high fiving, back slapping, and whooping and hollering that went on at the Tee was either seen or heard by every other golfer who was out on the course at the time.

Unlike the Pro's though, I didn't get a fancy sports car for my efforts. I was however, presented with a specially engraved pewter hip-flask at the Club's Presentation Dance to serve as a permanent reminder of said event.
I get it out the cupboard every now and then when I'm in reminiscing mode. :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hope you bought everybody a drink :smt039
Those wimin were in the nip.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

You can get insurance to cover the bar cost when you shout the bar after getting a hole in one. :think:
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Got to blow my own trumpet here.
I'm anything but a long hitter, so I'm probably the only person ever to have a hole in one using a driver.
Hole 8, 165 metres, over water (small lake) then dogleg right, surrounded by bunkers; a super difficult hole.
We couldn't find the ball and I looked hopefully in the hole .......

JD.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

bonzo wrote:Hope you bought everybody a drink :smt039
I did indeed bonzo. I think there were around 14 of us on that outing. Happily for me two or three were only on the fruit juice though so it only cost me about 25quid.
Hughie wrote:You can get insurance to cover the bar cost when you shout the bar after getting a hole in one. :think:
That's true Hughie and I did have that type of cover (pretty sure it was a charge added to the cost of my Club membership fee)
In this instance though it didn't apply because we were on an outing so were only playing off the 'regular' tees, not the 'Medal' ones. The hole measures 160 yards from the back 'Competition' medal tee, but 145 from the regular one I holed out from.
That was one of the stipulations in the policy, to qualify for a bar bill payout the Hole in One had to be achieved in an official club competition played off the back tees and any claim form would also need to have been signed by the Millport Club Secretary.
I wasn't all that bothered about it though, still couldnae get the smile off my face for a fortnight. :)
John Donnelly wrote:Got to blow my own trumpet here.
I'm anything but a long hitter, so I'm probably the only person ever to have a hole in one using a driver.
Hole 8, 165 metres, over water (small lake) then dogleg right, surrounded by bunkers; a super difficult hole.

JD.
Well done JD. and welcome to 'The Club'.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Back in the early 90s I used to play sawgrass in florida alot and I got a hole in one on the 17th......... On a sega megadrive //funny
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Haha bonzo, I know what you mean as that's a bit like myself setting a PB time cycling up a scenic mountain route in the USA - from the comfort of the Portal's gym. :lol:
But seriously, for us amateur hackers there's no other feeling quite like holing out from the Tee with a few good golfing buddies in attendance.
I'd liken it a bit to how Ricky Fowler must have felt above. Let's face it most of these guys are probably well into double digits in terms of Aces, so it probably wasn't really that big a deal for Justin Thomas.
For Ricky to then do it too though, well that must have felt really special, even for a world class Pro like him.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

JD.
Hey. The Treetowners is magic. :P
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

brian f wrote:

JD.
Hey. The Treetowners is magic. :P
Is that the oirish in you brian //funny