One for the Winton Rovers historians

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
gjmccreath
Settling In
Settling In

One for the Winton Rovers historians

Post by gjmccreath »

In season 1957-58 Winton Rovers played Irvine Meadow XI twice in May, winning both matches.

14 May 1958 Rovers won 5-2 in the Vernon Trophy at Meadow Park.
30 May 1958 Rovers won 3-1 in the Western League at Winton Park.

Can anyone tell me the goal scorers (Winton's and Meadow's) from both these matches?
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: One for the Winton Rovers historians

Post by George Ardrossan »

I don't know the answer, gjmccreath, but it can be found in the Heritage Centre in Saltcoats where they have every edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald from the first edition. Unfortunately, the Heritage Centre is closed for roof repairs till early next year.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

George, I think, has pointed you to the only place where an answer is likely to lie. Both fixtures were mid-week games, Wednesday and Friday respectively, and therefore neither the Evening Times nor the Glasgow Herald printed match reports with scorers which they might otherwise have done for 'Saturday' games.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

gjmccreath wrote:In season 1957-58 Winton Rovers played Irvine Meadow XI twice in May, winning both matches.

14 May 1958 Rovers won 5-2 in the Vernon Trophy at Meadow Park.
30 May 1958 Rovers won 3-1 in the Western League at Winton Park.

Can anyone tell me the goal scorers (Winton's and Meadow's) from both these matches?

Great to see you posting again Gordon - must have been that bribe of great coffee in your favourite coffee place :lol: :lol:

Megx
gjmccreath
Settling In
Settling In

Post by gjmccreath »

I was captured by the cappuccino, Meg :-)
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

George Ardrossan wrote:I don't know the answer, gjmccreath, but it can be found in the Heritage Centre in Saltcoats where they have every edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald from the first edition. Unfortunately, the Heritage Centre is closed for roof repairs till early next year.
George
Gordon
Although the Heritage Centre is closed to the public, the staff are still working inside. Because you have the exact dates of the games, you could ask them to send you a scan of the reports from the relevant Heralds. The email address is naheritage@north-ayrshire.gov.uk and the phone number is 01294 464174.
George
gjmccreath
Settling In
Settling In

Post by gjmccreath »

George, I've been a frequent visitor to the Heritage Centre over the last couple of years and am looking forward to it re-opening. I didn't realize the staff were still working in there. I've already checked the Irvine Herald and A&S Herald for the appropriate year, but they only give the scores. Presumably because they were evening games in May they didn't fit in with printing deadlines.