The Ghost of White Hart Lane

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

The Ghost of White Hart Lane

Post by Hughie »

Match between Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool live from White Hart Lane is on TV here now in Oz 10.00 Saturday night, SBS TV. Can't think of White Hart Lane without thinking of the ghost of White Hart Lane.

John White the Scot who was the ghost of White Hart Lane was killed by lightning. John was known as the ghost of White Hart Lane before his death, for the reason he was so illusive. That Tottenham Championship team back in the early sixties had three Scots. John White, Alan Gilzean and Dave McKay.

Hope I got that right, it was a long time ago and I was crazy about football. :roll:

http://www.worldsoccer.com/blogs/john-white-355791
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Ghost of White Hart Lane

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie wrote: That Tottenham Championship team back in the early sixties had three Scots. John White, Alan Gilzean and Dave McKay.
Four, I think Hughie, you're forgetting Bill Brown, the goalkeeper!

It was a huge thing when they won the League and Cup 'double'.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Hughie wrote:Match between Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool live from White Hart Lane is on TV here now in Oz 10.00 Saturday night, SBS TV. Can't think of White Hart Lane without thinking of the ghost of White Hart Lane.

John White the Scot who was the ghost of White Hart Lane was killed by lightning. John was known as the ghost of White Hart Lane before his death, for the reason he was so illusive. That Tottenham Championship team back in the early sixties had three Scots. John White, Alan Gilzean and Dave McKay.

Hope I got that right, it was a long time ago and I was crazy about football. :roll:

http://www.worldsoccer.com/blogs/john-white-355791
Interesting, Hughie-Did not know that- he was not as fortunate as another sporting icon the golfer(Lee Trevino) who was lucky enough to have survived 3 lightning strikes. I can just about remember Alan Gilzean because of his hairstyle or maybe am getting mixed up with another Spurs player Ralph Coates.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Alan Gilzean had a diminishing hair style which, at the start of games, he often tried to disguise, with a 'swept over style'.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/media/i ... sNewsImage
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hahaha still not a patch on Bobby Charlton :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

My pals and I were in Regents Park a short distance from where John White was struck by the lighting and we were caught up in the same storm, but rather than shelter under a tree as he did we made it a dash for the nearest pub and sheltered there.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

[quote="brian fInteresting, Hughie-Did not know that- he was not as fortunate as another sporting icon the golfer(Lee Trevino) who was lucky enough to have survived 3 lightning strikes. .[/quote]

Trevino was later quoted as saying, 'if you're caught in a thunderstorm, stick a one-iron up in the air. Even God can't hit a one-iron.'

JD.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Talking of Liverpool, other great Scots players of the era; Ian St John & Ron Yeats.