Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

This morning I went on a quest for a cake of pineapple dairymilk chocolate for Mrs B :lol:
Out through Irvine moor to the low green and over the bridge, followed the river along to the Merryvale bridge and back over the river. Cycle path towards Dreghorn and onto the road. Turned towards Drybridge where I found the shop that was selling the afore mentioned chocolate, £4 for a bar of chocolate £4 jeez.
Back on the bike and Drybridge bound turned back towards Irvine past GSK and then to the paper mill.
Through Shewalton woods this brings me out at Barassie down to the beach and into Troon. Round the bay back to the cycle path to Prestwick, again to the shore along to Bruce's well where I turned for home.
Back through Prestwick town and rejoined the path at the airport. From there it's pretty much a straight line back to Irvine. It was a pretty dreich morning so glad to get hame for a heat and chin Mrs B over the 4 quid she owes me //funny .
33 miles this morning.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Xmas came early for mrs b bonzo :lol: To tell you the truth i have never heard of pineapple dairy milk chocolate. Mines is sitting down all ready for that celebrity rubbish with a box of fudge and big bag of popcorn. :roll:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Oh well, first run of a new year/decade and lots of new stuff to try out. A couple of Christmas pressies in the form of trousers and gloves and a new back wheel as I wrecked the old one in a pothole on the way to work just before Christmas.
One of my usual runs to get back into it as I've not been out since November. Headed out as soon as it was light a crisp morning(freezing who am I trying to kid) :lol: Down to Prestwick so onto the cyclepath at Ravenspark. Straight away the amount of deer around was unbelievable, they seem to be quite brazen at this time of year I take it they are hungry.
Anyway through the moor and down the harbour, along the path through the beach park, Gailes Rd to Barassie then Troon and out towards the airport where a muckle military plane was testing and flying around. from there to Prestwick beach, turned back through the town and headed hame the same way I went out. Back to the house for a shower a bowl of soup and a corned beef toastie. 35 miles this morning I was quite happy with that after 8 weeks of not doing much :D
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Soooooo impressed Bonzo - I'm still hibernating ...
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Deer oh Deer bonzo-you will feel that in the morning :clap:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Meg once you get going it's no too bad, besides the only bit of me that was uncovered was my nose and eyes :-D .

Brian, I'm hoping I'll be ok I've got a turbo trainer set up in the wee room and do about 40 minutes a night. It's quite boring though just starring out the window :lol:.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I didn’t get out this weekend, too many other things to do. I’ve managed one trip this year so far - along to Largs and back, with a detour to Portencross. Maybe get back out next weekend.

I’ve been doing a wee cycling “challenge” for the last few years - where you get 1 point for a 50km trip, 2 for 50 miles, 3 for 100km, 4 for 100 miles. You total up the point over the year. But the twist is that you have to get at least one point each month, otherwise you’re “out”. It encourages you to get out in the winter months.
Which is why I was out for a trip on Hogmanay, and on the 2nd January!
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

It was a bit dark and drizzly when I left the house this morning, but it soon dried up.

Along the High Rd to Stevenston, then Dubbs Rd to Kilwinning.
Last year Dubbs Rd was resurfaced, and then a few months later it was closed to through traffic - just bikes, pedestrians, horses etc.
But it’s now been dug up again, from Stevenston as far as the railway bridge, to lay some sort of pipeline. They look to have done a reasonable job re-laying the tar, but some sections were very wet and muddy.

On towards Eglinton Park, then turned in towards Kilwinning. At bridgend, headed up the Glasgow road past the cemetery, then turned left onto the back road to Dalry. That’s part of National Cycle Route 7, which apparently runs from Sunderland to Inverness!

Followed that behind the Blair as far as Highfield, and then on to Longbar. Left the official cycle route and through Glengarnock, rejoining NCN7 neat the Kilbirnie Ladeside football park and on towards Lochwinnoch.

That’s a good flat path - an old railway line - but since most of it is in a railway cutting, there’s not a huge amount to see.

Stopped at the Castle Semple visitor centre for a coffee and something to eat, then continued on the NCN7 path, through Kilbarchan and Johnstone. Better views here, since it’s on an embankment. There’s a short section near Elderslie where you have to take to the main road - the “cycle path” is a painted area on the road, which is always blocked by parked cars - and then you’re back on an old railway route - the old “Paisley Canal” line.

Followed the path as far as Paisley Canal station, then a loop round the edge of Paisley Centre to get to Gilmour St. Train to Kilwinning, then back to Saltcoats.

55km.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Knowing I would never be able to cycle the miles/kilometres you all do I do enjoy reading these posts. When you have travelled to all these places do you ever feel guilty taking the train home and not cycling all the way home?
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Not really.
I work in Glasgow, and I’ve got a train season ticket - might as well make use of it at the weekend. And it lets me explore a bit further. I’ve been over most of the local roads, and from Saltcoats you’ve really only got 3 options for the first 5 miles - north to Largs, south to Kilwinning, or tackle the hills and head towards Dalry. I like exploring other places.

There’s also a psychological thing - I quite often plan a "round trip" route, but sometimes you’ve no option to do an “out and back” along the same route - and when I get to the half way point, I sometimes want to keep going rather than turn back.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I usually have an idea where I'm going so I know it's in my range to get hame. Don't think I've ever had to get the train.

Bruce I noticed how bad the dubbs rd was yesterday my bike, trainers and troosers were mawkit. I had to abort my ride though as it was later in the afternoon and when I got to Ardrossan I turned on my lights and nothing happened. Raced back to Irvine as I didn't fancy the dubbs rd in the pitch black. :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Sometimes I go out with a route planned - other times I just go out “to see where the road takes me”. When I’m doing that, the big decision is when I get to the end of my street - do I turn towards Largs, or towards Kilwinning? I rarely head directly towards Dalry (the 3rd option) - not because of the hill, but because the road to Dalry is not a good one on a bike.Twisty, mucky, high hedges and daft drivers. I think I’ve seen more cars in ditches on that stretch of road than anywhere else!

I got out again this morning. Drizzly and damp again. Along the coast road to Seamill, then turned down to Portencross. Half way back towards the main road, turned left along the farm road to Thirdpart - a bit mucky. Rejoined the A78 for about 100 yards, then towards Hunterston Castle. Along the bridleway thats takes you to the power station road, then followed the road right out to the power station.

Turned round, back to the main road, and on to Largs. Cup of coffee, then back to Saltcoats.

Wind in my face all the way out, but behind me coming home, which was nice.

A mucky 51km.