Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by michaelm »

Bruce wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:36 pm
A couple of miles later, my Garmin satnav said I should turn right, and I followed a rather unpromising road - which ended up in a farmyard. The satnav said “go straight on, then to the left” - but the route it indicated was over a field and across a river! Turned back and made a detour through Fenwick.
I'm sure when satnav's do get it wrong Bruce they'll often get it spectacularly wrong! :lol:

Still on a similar note so hopefully not too much OT. I once bought the very latest golfing gadget, a Garmin sports Watch with built in Satnav that was guaranteed to tell me EXACTLY how many yards I had left to the middle of the Green at whatever hole I was playing.
I'd proudly showed my new Watch to my two playing partners before starting and then I hit a decent enough tee shot down the first fairway. Got to my ball then checked the Watch info which said something like 135 yards to go to the Green, so I picked an appropriate club for the shot … then proceeded to shank my ball about 50 yards sideways straight into a burn! :lol:

Sounded like a good wee trip you had though apart from the overpriced coffee. :)
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Aye, satnavs are great, most of the time, but there have been a couple of times that it’s wanted to take me over path that’s more suited to a mountain goat!

I’m not really interested in going fast, but I like going to different places, exploring roads I’ve not been on before. The satnav is great for that.

I’ve got a different sort of adventure planned for next weekend. Watch this space!
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Lovely to see pictures of Rothesay where I spent my childhood holidays. But oh those grey skies................!
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Those grey skies were really welcome!

For several weeks before, it had been very hot and dry. Too hot to make a hilly bike trip pleasant.

then the next couple of days were rain.

That day was grey, but dry. Temperature was warm enough for short sleeves all day. Just right for me!
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Out for an hour this morning- and it was very wet! Was wishing I’d had the winter goretex boots on.
Up to the top of ardrossan, then back road to west kilbride. Out towards Hunterston, then back along the coast road to Saltcoats.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

All week I’ve been looking at the BBC weather forecast. It wasn’t good.

“Definitely going to rain on Sunday”.

Then “60% chance of rain on Sunday”

Then “Rain early, and 40% chance after 10.00”

Fortunately, it was wrong.

I was heading across to Strathaven, to take part in the “Round Stra’ven 50” ride.

About 500 riders were registered. It was advertised as being the ride with the best cake stops! I can confirm that that’s probably true.

Started at the school in Strathaven, most of the riders were in rain jackets and long sleeves/leggings. A few hardy souls had bare arms.

The drizzle had mostly stopped by 10.00, when the trip started, but it was very damp - it was more “low cloud” than rain. Roads were wet, and a bit slippy with mud.

A slow start - with 500 bikes on the road, it’s crowded. Once it started to stretch out, it was much better.

We headed west out of Stra'ven, on farm roads. Then we’d do a loop round the area, and back in by the same route.

Half an hour later, it was dry. Roads were still wet, and some very big puddles, but the rain jacket was starting to feel a bit “boil in the bag”, so came off as we neared Loudon Hill.

First section was lumpy, but no big climbs. Past a wind farm, on round Loudon Hill (the only part of the route I was familiar with!) and across the A71 towards another windfarm and Drumclog.

After about 20 miles of farm roads, we arrived at the village of Sandford, and Cake Stop 1.

And it was a good cake stop.

The event is a fundraiser for local charities, and the modest entry fee (£20) plus any donations collected at the food stops go to them. The local charities man all of the check points and road crossings, and organise the cake stops. Lots of sandwiches, home baking, tea and coffee. And bananas.

I left that cake stop, knowing that the next one was only 10 miles further on. Seems a bit close, I thought, but then I realised we were about to hit the hilly part of the route.

A short climb after the cake stop, then dropping about 100m as we came into Stonehouse. Then a steep climb, a drop as we came towards Larkhall, and then a long slog up towards Glassford, where we were rewarded with Cake Stop 2, which was of the same high standard.

By this time the roads were mostly dry, and there was even a brief glimpse of blue sky.

After Glassford, it was onwards to Chapelton, Audlhouse, and then one more steepish climb before we joined the route of the 15 mile “family trip" (which had started later) and headed back towards the finish at Strathaven, and the 3rd lot of cakes!

50 miles, and no rain!

bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

First outing for 6 or 7 weeks due to work and studying (at my age)but it was great out and stretch my legs a bit more than my commute to work.
I just wanted a nice and easy morning to get back into it. Down the coast to Prestwick as far as the end of the beach and back through the town. Troon prom is pretty much a no go area on a Saturday morning due to the park run so I followed the road round to templehill where I was back onto the cycle path back through Irvine and hame.
Great to be back out but I think there's something wrong with my tracker check out my maximum speed hahaha. 30 miles today.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XJsT2Vtfoxh3qQEb6
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

It looked a bit grey this morning, but forecast wasn’t too bad.

I wanted to try some unfamiliar roads today, so along to Kilwinning station, and got on a train.

Got off at Johnstone, and followed familiar tracks towards Linwood, where I took some roads I’d not been on before. Out to Houston (Scotland, not Texas), then headed generally towards Glasgow airport. Crossed under the M8, headed away from the airport, and then crossed the motorway 2 more times to take through Bishopton towards Erskine. One wrong tuning, doubled back, then found the well-hidden entrance to the Erskine Bridge cycle path.

At one time, there was a foot/cyclepath on both sides, but the East one is closed. I took the west one - busy traffic on the other side of the barrier, but apart from me and one runner, the cycle path was deserted.

Looking West from the middle of the bridge. Clyde below, village of Bowling just ahead, with Dumbarton in the distance.

Once over the bridge, I joined the Forth & Clyde Canal path - part of the section of NCN7 that runs from Glasgow to Loch Lomond, and headed towards Glasgow.

The “Drop Lock” at Dalmuir, which lets canal boats pass under the main road.

Followed the canal onwards to Clydebank shopping centre, then headed towards the Clyde.

At Yoker, I arrived at the ferry terminal. Gate open, but desolate - no signs of life!

A few minutes later, the little boat on the other side of the river headed in my direction

£2 for a ticket

I don’t know whether I remember the old chain-hauled Renfrew Ferry, which is now moored in Glasgow, or just think I do!

Now I’m in Renfrew. A quick pitstop for something to eat, and then towards Inchinnan and the back of the airport.

Around Glasgow Airport, then into Paisley, where I caught a train home.

59km in total, and despite the unpromising weather, it stayed dry.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Out through ravenspark this afternoon and on to route 73 to Kilmarnock.
Past the golffields and by the riverside lodge through the annick Park and past the bottom of Springside and Crosshouse and stopped at the Western Rd.
Stopped there for some water and then headed back the same way.
Always enjoy cycling this path as you feel as if you are in the middle of nowhere but you are never that far away from the towns.
22 miles today.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

bonzo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:53 am Great to be back out but I think there's something wrong with my tracker check out my maximum speed hahaha.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XJsT2Vtfoxh3qQEb6
Aye, you're quick bonzo … but no' that quick! :lol:

Good narratives there and some excellent pic's from Bruce as well.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Out early this morning, the skies looked very heavy inland, but clear over the sea - and the breeze was in the right direction, so I hoped it wouldn’t be too wet.

I headed through Irvine to Dreghorn, where I met an acquaintance.

He’s doing a “Scotland End to End” - or a “MoG-JoG” - started yesterday at the MoG (Mull of Galloway lighthouse) and finishes in a week at JoG (John O’Groats). Last night’s stop was Ayr, tonight’s Stirling.

I met him at Dreghorn, and we followed the cycle path from there through Springside, past Crosshouse and into Kilmarnock.

Along Western Road, to the north end of Kilmarnock.it had been dry and pleasant so far, but then the rain came on. Fortunately it wasn’t too heavy.

Followed the old A77 north towards Glasgow, through Fenwick and up over the moor. The new motorway has made a huge difference here - I remember the A77 being a pretty lethal 4 lane road, it’s now very quiet with a segregated cycle route. Road surface was a bit rough in places, but generally fine.

Having company made the uphill bit seem easier, and once halfway to Glasgow it was a good descent as far as Newton Mearns. Continued all the way into the city centre - roads still not too busy, and along the south side of the Clyde to Paisley Road Toll.

Crossed the river on the “Squinty Bridge”, where we parted company. He headed along towards the Riverside museum, where he was meeting his charity for a few photos and some lunch before following the canal to Falkirk an Stirling. I headed for Central Station, and caught the 11.00 train home.

You may be interested in the charity he’s fundraising for - “Cycling Without Age Scotland (Fairlie)”- they’re raising fund to buy a couple of electric-assisted rickshaw-style bikes for the Fairlie/Largs community, to enable the elderly/disabled community to enjoy cycling.

bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Today's wee jaunt saw me leaving castlpark out through ravenspark to the blacklands in Kilwinning. Then byrehill rd, dubbs rd to Stevenston. The quarry and down to the station, George Street and the prom.
Saltcoats harbour, South Beach, North shore and stopped at Seamill. Turned around and came back the same route.
25 miles with good Scottish weather (wet and windy).
I even got a wee look at the talking wall, thanks for alerting me to this Michael :good: