Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

Haha I tend to go out and see how the wind is blawin, this morning I headed to killie. Cycle path all the way, love it cycling down the bottom of Dreghorn, Springside, Crosshoose so quiet, the weather doesn't matter (wet and windy)back the same way 23 miles.

Incidentally hawf puggled in the pub noo :D
Those wimin were in the nip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Out for a couple of hours this morning, I knew it was going to be really windy later so hoped I could get out and hame before it picked up.
It was still pretty blawy when I went out so as usual I decided to head south into the wind.
It wasn't too bad until I got to Barrasie beach where it was blowing a hoolie (in my face of course). The wind surfers looked like they were having a great time while I was heid doon erse up :lol:. For some reason when you get to troon beach the wind always seems to be in the opposite direction so a wee rest for a couple of miles.
Onwards to Prestwick through the town and down onto the beach heading back home so the wind is now with me. Back into the bigger gears and back in Irvine in no time.
Had to pop in to work for a wee while then up the road.
30 miles this morning.
I've managed to get out a couple of nights after work during the week which got me another 50 mile over 3 runs. 80 miles for the first week in February I'm quite happy with that.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

That’s a brilliant start for a february!

I managed to get out yesterday before the winds picked up. Got out before 9, only to discover a flat tyre. By the time I had fixed that, I was cold and the notion had sort of left me. But once I got cleaned up and warmed up, I headed out.

Saltcoats to Kilwinning, then Benslie, Torranyard and Stewarton.

Next leg was from Stewarton to Kilmaurs - wind was starting to get up, and was in my face for this bit. Joined the cycle path at Knockentiber, and followed that to Irvine. Through Irvine and Kilwinning with a tail wind, and back to Saltcoats.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:24 pm
Had to pop in to work for a wee while then up the road.
30 miles this morning.
I've managed to get out a couple of nights after work during the week which got me another 50 mile over 3 runs. 80 miles for the first week in February I'm quite happy with that.
Never mix work with pleasure bonzo :hi: Its good to read yourself and Bruce are up and running . :D
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

So much for the great start to the month the weather has put payed to the rest of the month but I managed a couple of hours this morning.
A nice wee run to kilmarnock. There was a lot of big puddles around so I was pretty wet before I left Irvine.
A lot of flooding around Annick playing fields and in the farms around Springside and Crosshouse also a couple of big trees had came a cropper in the wind.
Uneventful until I got to the railway arches in killie where I hit a patch of mud and down I went :oops: Luckily it was only the back of 8 so I was down up and away before anybody seen me, no damage done :lol: Continued on to Asda where I picked up a few odds and ends before heading back the same way I'd come out.
From memory that's the first time I've fell off for almost 4 years I can take that strike rate //funny .
25 miles this morning.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:41 pm So much for the great start to the month the weather has put payed to the rest of the month but I managed a couple of hours this morning.
A nice wee run to kilmarnock. There was a lot of big puddles around so I was pretty wet before I left Irvine.
A lot of flooding around Annick playing fields and in the farms around Springside and Crosshouse also a couple of big trees had came a cropper in the wind.
Uneventful until I got to the railway arches in killie where I hit a patch of mud and down I went :oops: Luckily it was only the back of 8 so I was down up and away before anybody seen me, no damage done :lol: Continued on to Asda where I picked up a few odds and ends before heading back the same way I'd come out.
From memory that's the first time I've fell off for almost 4 years I can take that strike rate //funny .
25 miles this morning.
Well done Bonzo - I thought I was brave venturing out the back door to hang out a set of bed clothes - got them dried, but nearly took off bringing them back in :lol:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:41 pm
Uneventful until I got to the railway arches in killie where I hit a patch of mud and down I went :oops: Luckily it was only the back of 8 so I was down up and away before anybody seen me, no damage done :lol:
That's called i wish the world would swallow me up moment. Happened to me a year back fell off felt nothing but sheer embarrassment as a couple of folk with good intention approached i was back on that bike like a jiffy before the are you alright :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Sorry to hear you had an “off” - and that you’re OK.

More importantly, how’s the bike :D
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

brian f wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:13 pm
bonzo wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:41 pm
Uneventful until I got to the railway arches in killie where I hit a patch of mud and down I went :oops: Luckily it was only the back of 8 so I was down up and away before anybody seen me, no damage done :lol:
That's called i wish the world would swallow me up moment. Happened to me a year back fell off felt nothing but sheer embarrassment as a couple of folk with good intention approached i was back on that bike like a jiffy before the are you alright :lol:
Aw Brian I've had worse believe me //funny
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Bruce wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:50 pm Sorry to hear you had an “off” - and that you’re OK.

More importantly, how’s the bike :D
Bruce it's fine scuff on the left grip. As long as I can do it a wee skirmish with the ground is secondary :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Meg wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 pm
bonzo wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:41 pm So much for the great start to the month the weather has put payed to the rest of the month but I managed a couple of hours this morning.
25 miles this morning.
Well done Bonzo - I thought I was brave venturing out the back door to hang out a set of bed clothes - got them dried, but nearly took off bringing them back in :lol:
It's funny Meg ma hair was dry before I got to the hut :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

A trip to Prestwick yesterday. Cycle path all the way, nice day for a wee jaunt although deceptively windy between Barassie and Prestwick but as I've said before swings and roundabouts wind at my back all the way hame. 30 miles.