Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

Bruce, you inspired me to get a big cycle in.
Castlepark to Dunure this morning, up and out before eight it was really foggy. Onto route 7 at ravenspark to give an idea of the fog if you know the harbour lights pub in Irvine from there you could not see the ship Inn.
So I continued round the beach Park and the beaches of barrasie,Troon, Prestwick and ayr.(Incidentally there were 5 police motors and lots of police at Barassie beach don't know what was going on).
After ayr beach went out past greenan? (I think)castle, a really steep wee climb there.
After that the cycle path merges onto the road, past Craig Tara and the farm Park and onto Dunure. Its a great drop down into Dunure. Stopped at the Castle for a drink. Here's a wee snap.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FFoh4tqYdM4VGmh62
Then headed for hame. Now the great drop in to Dunure turned to quite a climb out hahaha but after that it is mostly down hill into ayr.
Back to the cycle path and and retraced my steps back to Irvine.
56 miles today.
Those wimin were in the nip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This is on in Troon next weekend if anyone is interested.
http://www.ayrshirecyclingfestival.co.uk/
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Yes, saw that one. Have been toying with the idea of signing up for the 100k ride on the Sunday.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

The deed is done - I’ve signed up for the “Ayrshire explorer” next Sunday!

Having looked at the map, the hilly bits are all in the first half, which is good.

Troon, Loans, Dundonald, symington, tarbolton , drongan, rankiston, patna, dalmellington, straiton, kirkmichael, dalrymple, coylton, annbank, mossblown, monkton and back to troon.

Lots of places that I’ve never been to before - once south of the A77, it’s pretty much unknown territory to me.

Today I stayed in familiar territory - up the coast to Skelmorlie and back. Nice coffee and an Empire Biscuit in the Green Shutters in Largs.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Good luck with this !!!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Good luck with it Bruce :good:

A run down the coast to Prestwick for me this afternoon, stuck to the cycle path all the way. Another day with absolutely no wind. I don't know how I'll cope when it picks back up again :lol:. 30 miles today.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Left work half day headed onto ayr rd and crossed the bypass to shewalton. Passed gsk then Drybridge and Dreghorn where I joined the cycle path.
After a couple of miles on the path turned onto the road and into knockentiber and Crosshouse.
Headed back the way I had just come but stayed on the cycle path back to Irvine.
Back onto the road round riverside way and out to the paper mill, shewalton woods and gailes rd back towards Irvine once again. Through the beachpark, harbour, Moor and hame. 28 miles.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Didn't think I was going to get out this weekend as I went for my cardioversion on Thursday (which didn't work anyway) but the consultant said it's fine.
So this morning I followed the cycle route to Largs and decided to keep going. Onto the road to Skelmorlie, wymess Bay and Inverkip.
I haven't been past Largs for years and although the road surface is much better than I remember, I still dont like that stretch of road.
Stopped at the kip marina where quite annoyingly there are no public benches to have a seat so I plunked myself on the grass for a drink and a bit of chocolate.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ne31xrr1u4m1KJGH9

Returned home the same way and I was glad when I got back to Largs and get that bit of road behind me. Headed back into Irvine and down to asda for some limes to pop in my well earned caronna tonight then up the road. 63 miles today.
Last edited by bonzo on Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Sounds like a great run to inverkip. You probably passed me!

I went from saltcoats along to Largs, then followed the Brisbane glen road for a few miles. Didn’t go all the way to the top, but just until the clock said 25k. Turned then, back down to Largs, coffee at the green shutters, sat on the south prom drinking it, then back to saltcoats. 51k today
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Today’s adventure - the “Ayrshire Explorer”, part of the Ayrshire cycling festival.

Down to Troon by car, arriving about 9. Signed in, and had a blether with some of the other riders.

There were about 50 riders in total I think, after a quick recap of the route and a safety talk, we were on our way at 9.30, leaving in groups of 10 a couple of minutes apart. The racing hares left in the first groups, I was nearer the back. It’s not a race - some people were “going for a time”, others were just out to enjoy the ride.

And some, like me, were just wanting to get round, and ideally not finish last!

Weather was ideal. Warm, dry, but not windy, and no direct sun. It was a bit humid, hot and sweaty at times - or maybe that was just me.

Through Troon, out to Loans, to face the first obstacle of the ride - up Dundonald Hill, past the highgrove hotel. Maybe a wee bit cruel having a steep climb so early, but it meant that the pack was strung out over quite a distance.

Right at Dundonald, and then over the A77 near Symington, and on to Tarbolton.

By this time I was in unknown territory, but the route was well signed - arrows at key junctions, and a good “route sheet” had been handed out at the start. As well as telling us the route, it also had useful info like locations of shops, cafes and toilets!

From Tarbolton, it was south past the Stair Inn, then a climb up to Drongan, Littlemill and Patna.

After Patna, it was along the main road for about 5 miles to Dalmellington - it was a Sunday morning, so the road was quiet, then a sharp right, doubling back on ourselves to take the moor road from Dalmellington to Straiton.

The road was actually closed to cars, due to a collapsed cattle grid, which meant it was great for bikes. A quick stop at a checkpoint to refill the water bottle, then the climb up to the top of the moor, beside the wind farm - the highest point of the trip.

A couple of relatively flat miles along the top, then a great descent - the road surface was very smooth - down to Straiton.

Arriving at Straiton, just past the halfway stage, I was greeted by a sea of bikes - all stopped outside “The Buck”. Great wee cafe - nice food and coffee. Sat in the sun outside the cafe for half an hour blethering. Coffee and Apple Pie!

Back on the road, heading north. Kirkmichael, Dalrymple, Coylton - places I’d seen on signs, but never visited. By this time it had started to get a bit breezy - and of course the wind was in my face.

Annbank, Mossblown, and suddenly I was back in territory I recognised. Underneath the A77, past the airport into Monkton, and along the cycle path to Troon, arriving back at the starting line after 102 km (63 miles). About 4 and a half hours, with about 3300 ft climbing. It was nice rolling into the car park, and getting a cheer and clap from those that had already finished.

Coffee, sandwich, certificate and medal, then headed home!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Good stuff Bruce, my reckoning we've done the guts of 300 miles between us in the past week. No bad for an old fat bloke and yourself.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Old fat bloke? I resemble that remark....