Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by michaelm »

Bruce wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:45 pm You get numpties in all forms - on bikes, motorbikes, cars, lorries, horses and on foot.
Yes of course, you're absolutely correct there Bruce.

What I found a wee bit surprising about the video was that it looks like all the cyclist's could well be part of a Cycling Club(s). If so you'd think there'd be specific guidelines laid out, as well as the obvious need for a common sense approach when passing horse's etc on country road's.

Here's hoping someone got their knuckles rapped here, big time!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Michael, I think it was a road race or a triathlon definitely something competitive and the guy got disqualified.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

It was a triathlon, on open roads. Which means they’ve got to obey the rules of the road. They were reminded of that before starting.

Quite why racing is allowed on open roads is beyond me - if it had been cars, they’d be in the jail...
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Bruce wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:45 pm It was a triathlon, on open roads. Which means they’ve got to obey the rules of the road. They were reminded of that before starting.

Quite why racing is allowed on open roads is beyond me - if it had been cars, they’d be in the jail...
But surely the public would be advised with good notice before an event . Don't get me wrong i like horses.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Whether the public were advised isn’t really relevant - the bike riders were riding like idiots.

They’re on a public road - that means you anticipate hazards, don’t go so fast that you can’t stop should there be an obstacle in front of you, you don’t “overtake” on the inside, you don’t scare horses, you don’t close-pass, you stop if you collide with someone rather than giving them the finger and riding on, you basically don’t behave like a ****.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

brian f wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:32 pm
Bruce wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:45 pm It was a triathlon, on open roads. Which means they’ve got to obey the rules of the road. They were reminded of that before starting.

But surely the public would be advised with good notice before an event . Don't get me wrong i like horses.
Bruce wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:46 pm Whether the public were advised isn’t really relevant - the bike riders were riding like idiots.

They’re on a public road - that means you anticipate hazards, don’t go so fast that you can’t stop should there be an obstacle in front of you, you don’t “overtake” on the inside, you don’t scare horses, you don’t close-pass, you stop if you collide with someone rather than giving them the finger and riding on, you basically don’t behave like a ****.
So sorry - i only ASKED .

You need to adjust medication if necessary.

No wonder so many members don't post .
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

You might have picked up that last sentence from Bruce wrong, Brian. :wink:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

dont think so.................
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

All too true Bruce.

brian f wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:32 pm But surely the public would be advised with good notice before an event.
Maybe so Brian, but wouldn't that just be a bit like saying "There will be a competitive Cycling event taking place between section A and B of this road on such and such a date. But although it hasn't been deemed necessary to close off the road to the public, anyone daft enough to use it while the said event is in progress does so entirely at their own risk."

I wonder how far any local council etc would get with that nonsense. :)
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Bottom line is that the guys on bikes were completely out of order!

Don’t understand why you’ve taken offence at me saying that”if you’re riding on a public road, don’t behave like a ****”. I wasn’t referring to anyone here!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

If anyone is cycling or walking the low green in Irvine be aware the bridge is closed for the next 8 weeks or so. There is a diversion in place which takes you over the river via the marress rd.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I've had a couple of lazy weeks but back out today. A wee trip up the coast to Portencross. 30 miles to get me back into it.