Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by Bruce »

I don’t think I’ll be watching it. Channel 5 are scraping the barrel here with the latest in their series of “Minorities: Scourge of the Streets” programmes.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I've been busy the last couple of weekends so haven't been out on the bike. Today I made for largs, the normal way for me ravenspark, dubbs rd, the quarry doon the bottom end, George street and onto the prom. It was here I realized it was really quite blawy and by the time I got to the north shore it was right in my face.
I kept going but it was really slowing me down, by the time I got to largs my legs were on fire. Sat at the ferry terminal for 20 minutes had a drink and a packet of crisps before heading for hame.
Swings and roundabouts the wind now at my back made great time back to Irvine, I was 20 minutes quicker coming hame.
42 miles today.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Another good innings bonzo. Am pretty sure i read something about Nardinis recently been in a bit of trouble with finances, do they still have that big cafe place straight across the road from the ferry terminal on the corner or is that gone years ago... Not talking about the big ice-cream cafe they have further along the road.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I watched a good few hours of the Iron man contest in Hamburg on Sunday, a small matter of a 4km swim, 180km cycle and they finish off by running a marathon. These people obviously have a little bit of craziness in them but they have my total admiration.

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/e ... e-cheetham
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Irvine to largs this morning brilliant weather for a cycle, nice wee breeze in my face on the way up. There seemed to be butterflies everywhere I looked this morning, nice to see.
I know I usually moan about the wind but after I had sat at largs for a wee bit and started for home with the breeze at my back it was roasting, ok when you were moving but if I stopped at lights or whatever the water was running off my head. 42 miles today.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Good run today - fine morning, a bit breezy to start with.

Saltcoats-kilwinning-torranyard-stewarton. From there headed towards Glasgow, and about half way there went right on a farm road. Never been that way before.
That eventually took me to the A77 cycle path near Mearnskirk.
From there, farm roads towards Eaglesham, then in the general direction of East Kilbride. When I reached Jackton, just before EK, I turned towards Glasgow, through Thorntonhall, Carmunnock, Castlemilk, Croftfoot, Kings Park and Rutherglen, eventually reaching Glasgow Green. Along the clyde to Central Station, then train home. 66km.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Been out of the saddle for a wee while, owing to an unmentionable common
Spoiler
Bum op :oops:
Spring is just over three weeks away, so looking forward to that. :wink:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Look on the bright side Hughie, you can cycle 2 octaves higher :D
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Just glad the scalpel didn't slip, Bonzo. :roll: :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Down to Ayr this afternoon, I usually like to get my cycle in in the morning but as it's the last day of my holidays I was determined to have a long lie :lol:
Just followed route 7 all the way down, I found it strangely quiet hardly seen a soul before I got to troon even the golf courses were empty :smt102
I came straight back to Irvine using the road instead of the cycle path. 35 miles covered today.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This morning I picked up the cycle path at ravenspark and headed to kilmarnock, it was absolutely chucking it down I was drookit within the first mile. Also choosing the cycle path was a bad idea as the trees are in full leaf and the branches are hanging nicely to skelp you in the face.
Onto killie and the rain is getting heavier (morag probably the kind of rain you are looking for) no wind straight down Scottish rain :lol:. Once in kilmarnock I turned back to dreghorn, perceton row and down to the stanecastle.
Heading through the girdle toll, my invisibility cloak must have been working well because some clown in a car pulled out on me. Let's just say my language wasn't fitting of a Sunday morning :evil:.anhoo from there to benslie and down the hill into Kilwinning.
Through the town to Stevenston along the high road and out to the north shore. By this point it was getting a bit windy driving the rain into my face, heid doon and onward. Through seamill and turned down to portencross where I stopped for a drink and a mars bar.
Sitting there the weather was that bad you couldn't even see arran. Back on the bike and decided enough was enough as my hands looked like I had been lying in a bath for 3 hours :lol: and headed for hame.48 very wet miles today.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Enjoyed reading that bonzo- I suppose you thought am soaked anyway i may as well carry on . 48 miles in that weather well done. :clap: