Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by Bruce »

I did pretty much the same trip! Saltcoats to Prestwick airport and back!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Bruce maybe we passed? I was out between half 8 and 11. There were a good few cyclists out yesterday.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

We probably did pass - I left Saltcoats about half nine, home around 12ish. I was wearing a white jacket.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Were you on the wee narrow pavement before you turn down to Barrassie if so I was on the road heading back towards Irvine. Orange jacket big and bald .
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

that was probably me - Id followed the cycle route into the houses at barassie, then changed my mind and was heading back to the main road to pick up the path that goes along beside the golf course.

We should meet up sometime...
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

:good:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Here in Oz this is where I go for a cycle on my bike. The cycle track from Drysdale to Geelong is alongside an old disused railway line. The track to Queenscliff is alongside the active part of the railway line which is used for a restaurant train and a Blues Train.

bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

First jaunt of the year for me to largs. Just went the usual way from Irvine through ravenspark, dubbs rd, the quarry then onto the prom and hugged the coast to largs.
Quite an annoying wee breeze in my face all the way up.
As I said not been this way for a while and noticed a new set of traffic lights in seamill and a big new barn at carlung farm. Once in largs I stopped at the front and had a drink before heading back down the road. The annoying breeze was now at my back and made for a pleasurable pedal back to Irvine. 43 miles today my furthest this year.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Me too!

I think I passed you - you were heading back, just coming out of Fairlie, I was heading the other way (with wind in my face!)

The wind was annoyingly strong - made it feel like you were constantly going uphill on the way out, but great on the way back.

I started in Saltcoats, along the high road, and kept following the main road into Largs. Stayed on the road towards Skelmorlie, turning at the St Phillans junction, when the clock said 25km.

Back into Largs, cup of coffee sitting on the wall outside the Green Shutters, then back home. Going home was easy - and fast!

So 50km, which is 32 miles.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I was looking for folk with white jacket never noticed anyone. Just give me a shout in future.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

And by pure chance, guess who I met outside Eglinton Park today! I was on the bike, and Bonzo on foot.

Today’s trip was from Saltcoats to kilwinning, irvine, troon and prestwick. Quick stop there for a snack, then on to Ayr. Through the town, out through Doonfoot and past Craig Tara - which some people may remember as “Butlins”.

A bit further on, I turned left, and followed the national cycle route 7 up a ridiculously steep hill. Once I struggled over the top, it was a good downhill run, back into Ayr via Alloway, past Burns’ Cottage, and into the town centre where I caught a train back to Kilwinning. 61k in total.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Nice to meet you Bruce :hi: