Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:29 pm I've had a couple of lazy weeks but back out today. A wee trip up the coast to Portencross. 30 miles to get me back into it.
Well done bonzo, you must have sweated buckets ..
I remember my auld man taking me and my brother to Portencross fishing one day . :D
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Headed over to Stevenston this morning then along the prom into Saltcoats, South Beach and through Ardrossan.
Turned back at the end of North crescent rd straight back long the high rd to Kilwinning. Up fegushill rd to benslie. The picture is the top of fegushill rd looking back at arran.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hspevR7UjgvACTkx6

After benslie back into Irvine to the staincastle, Middleton rd, perceton row then Dreghorn, Drybridge, along shewalton rd and through the woods.
Barassie next with a lovely cooling breeze going along the beach. Troon beach then turned onto the local cycle route back to Barassie.
Insight of home now, along gailes rd round the beach park, harbour side Irvine Moor and hame. 45 warm warm miles today.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I headed out about 8.30, wasn’t too hot at that time, although a bit breezy.

Along the high road to the far side of ardrossan, then followed the main road through seamill, past hunterston, through fairlie and into Largs. Kept going along the coast road to skelmorlie, and stopped at Wemyss Bay harbour.

Turned back towards Largs, where I had a coffee and something to eat, then back to saltcoats. 61km, or 38 miles.

No photos today
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Today I went out by shewalton, Drybridge, Dundonald then towards loans but turned back along the gailes rd, beach Park through the harbour, marress rd and into Kilwinning.
Stayed on the road into Stevenston along the high rd turned back at north crescent rd.
Stuck to the coast back to Stevenston, round the quarry, dubbs rd, ravenspark and hame. 31 miles today and still really warm.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

One off the bucket list today finally got round to cycling Arran. Cycle route from my house to the ferry terminal and when I got Brodick I went clockwise round the island.

I must admit the cycle from Brodick to Blackwaterfoot must be the hardest 25 miles I've ever cycled. I was even dreading the drops downhill as I knew there would be a climb at the other side :lol:

After Blackwaterfoot it flattend out eventually and was pretty flat to Lochranza where shortly after I was confronted by a bit of a monster of a hill, around a 2.5 mile long constant climb. It beat me I got about half way up using gears I didn't know I had when cramp kicked in. I had to stop and I walked the last mile.

After that it's pretty much down hill back to Brodick where I just missed the 1.55 ferry. So I lounged about in the sunshine to until the next ferry. Off at Ardrossan and back to Irvine.

Really enjoyed today but I don't know if I would do it again. As I've said before I don't like hills, I'm not built for hills. 75 miles from door to door.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Huge respect Bonzo - It hard enough driving round Arran - did you go over the string road?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

No meg went round the bottom of the island, must admit when I got to Blackwaterfoot I thought about going back over the string road :lol:.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

If I’d known, I’d have joined you!

I did the same route about 18 months ago - would like to do it again
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Bruce I had a wee read at your post last night, you made it sound easy :hi:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

It wasn’t easy - but satisfying.

I did it in November. I made the mistake of going down to the car deck as soon as we were called, and froze there for ages before getting off (had to wait for all the cars to go off first) - so was immediately into that first hill with cold legs and no warmup!

Here’s some photos from the last time I did it.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your- ... st-4566618

I’m told there’s a new bike cafe in Lagg, part of the Lagg Hotel.

I’m hoping to do the “five ferries” route sometime this month.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I didn't notice because when you turn at the hotel there's another bloody hill :lol: definitely satisfying but I'm glad it's done. Good luck with the five ferries.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

:clap: :clap:
bonzo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:12 pm One off the bucket list today finally got round to cycling Arran. Cycle route from my house to the ferry terminal and when I got Brodick I went clockwise round the island.

I must admit the cycle from Brodick to Blackwaterfoot must be the hardest 25 miles I've ever cycled. I was even dreading the drops downhill as I knew there would be a climb at the other side :lol:

After Blackwaterfoot it flattend out eventually and was pretty flat to Lochranza where shortly after I was confronted by a bit of a monster of a hill, around a 2.5 mile long constant climb. It beat me I got about half way up using gears I didn't know I had when cramp kicked in. I had to stop and I walked the last mile.

After that it's pretty much down hill back to Brodick where I just missed the 1.55 ferry. So I lounged about in the sunshine to until the next ferry. Off at Ardrossan and back to Irvine.

Really enjoyed today but I don't know if I would do it again. As I've said before I don't like hills, I'm not built for hills. 75 miles from door to door.

bonzo- Considering you where in hospital not that long ago, That is a remarkable feat... A very well done. Pore yourself a large one tonight you deserve it .. And thanks for reminding me of that magical place Arran. :clap: