Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by Bruce »

aye, it’s got the emphasis on the “cow”, as in the farmyard animal...

That’s the first 50 I’ve done this year.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Got a load of work done on my bike today. Replaced the brakes, tyres, rear cassette, chain and pedals.
Pedals can be a bit of a pain in the bum to change and as usual I have the skint knuckles to prove it. Still all done now and the bike should be good for a few more miles.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Well done bonzo -that would cost a fortune in the bike shops down here to get done.
Mrs b -pressie- is certainly paying off :lol:
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

My bike had been gathering dust in the spare room for almost a year and to be honest I'd not really been doing that much to keep my fitness levels up to scratch during that time.
Cue the spell of good weather and a chat on the phone to a pal along the line's of .. "Fancy a wee trip on the bikes on cycle route 73 from Stevenston/Saltcoats/ and then into the Irvine Harbour area tomorrow? "

Blew the tyre's up, checked the brakes and gears and lubricated the cogs/chain etc.
So what could possibly go wrong on such a warm sunny day? Well, we both simply failed to realise how much a 'lay off' can affect you - particularly on the hottest day of the year so far.
Cutting a long story short, I ended up taking a tumble after braking far too sharply, but luckily got away with nowt more than a skint elbow.
The outward 8 miles or so were fine - apart from me falling aff - but the return journey wasn't too pleasant as although the breeze was in our faces cooling us down at times, the sun was really strong and there wasn't a single cloud in the sky.

Only about 18 miles, but I'll sleep the night! :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Michael, you know it will be easier the next time and you probably won't even fall off. It has been deceptively windy for the past week I think.
Today I did a 25 miler along route 7 to Troon and back to castlpark lovely weather again but really windy in bits.
Brian, for people who don't like working on bikes I'm pretty sure Halfords do a thing where you pay 20 or 30 quid a year and the labour is free from them.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

bonzo wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:14 pm Michael, you know it will be easier the next time and you probably won't even fall off. It has been deceptively windy for the past week I think.
Yeah, touch wood I'm not planning on making the same mistake again bonzo. Think I just got a wee bit too close to my friend in front and when she braked I reacted instinctively and also used the wrong brake at the time. (front one)

No damage done and it won't stop me from getting back out on the bike, a wee lesson learned though. :)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Castlepark to Portencross today. Out through ravenspark, dubbs rd, the quarry, down the bottom end and along the coast. Came back the same way.
Annoyingly there was temporary traffic lights at the bottom of the brae in Seamill, dae the work getting up the hill and don't get the benefit coming down.
Other than that what an afternoon for a cycle not a breath of wind. I'm sure if carlsberg did cycling days this would be one of them. 30 miles.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

michaelm wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:50 pm
bonzo wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:14 pm Michael, you know it will be easier the next time and you probably won't even fall off. It has been deceptively windy for the past week I think.
Yeah, touch wood I'm not planning on making the same mistake again bonzo. Think I just got a wee bit too close to my friend in front and when she braked I reacted instinctively and also used the wrong brake at the time. (front one)

No damage done and it won't stop me from getting back out on the bike, a wee lesson learned though. :)
Brilliant -Cant stop laughing at this .....
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

brian f wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:39 pm Brilliant -Cant stop laughing at this .....
Once I realised I had no broken bones etc brian, I had a good laugh about it at the time myself. :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

A day off work today, so went out for a longer ride.

Saltcoats, kilwinning, though Irvine and down to the harbour. Followed the road through the beach park and out to Gailles, then Loans.

Up over the hill to Symington, then crossed the A77 at Hansel Village.

Followed farm roads for a while, eventually ending up at Tarbolton at lunchtime. Was hoping to find somewhere for a sandwich and coffee, but only shop open appeared to be the post office/Spar, so pre-packed sandwich, drink, and back on my way.

Eventually ended up coming into Kilmarnock via Shortlees. Stopped at the garden centre there, bought a coffee and cake. Lovely cake, rotten coffee!

By this time it was really hot, and threatening thunder. A few drops of rain, but not enough to cool down.

Back via Caprington to Gatehead, then past Laigh Milton to Springside. On towards Benslie, then home via Kilwinning.

80km/50 miles.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

michaelm wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:55 am
brian f wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:39 pm Brilliant -Cant stop laughing at this .....
Once I realised I had no broken bones etc brian, I had a good laugh about it at the time myself. :lol:
Aye i have to say michael you have to laugh or you would go crazy at times..

bonzo & Bruce- you guys must be as fit as fleas, you travel some distance. :clap:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Fit? if only....