Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

First time this year to Largs for me. This must be the 3rd or 4th lovely Saturday in a row. Going through Stevenston there were 4 powered paragliders swooping about, I followed them to South Beach but then they got away from me.
Continued on along the north shore, Seamill and round by hunterston castle. By the time I got to Fairlie the paragliders were coming back towards the 3 toons.
Stopped at the ferry terminal and sat for 10 minutes had a drink and a bit of chocolate and headed back down the road. Dropped into ma faithers when I got back to Stevenston, then headed back to castlepark. 44 miles covered.
Here's a wee pic of the pencil in Largs.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/0UC7ivU9gG92ptyY2
For some reason my phone has decided to tittify the picture :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I headed the opposite way. Along the high road, got as far as Tesco when i realised I had forgot to lift my water bottle, so back home collected it, then on my way. High road into Stevenston, then Dubbs Rd to Kilwinning.

On to Benslie, Torranyard, Cunninghamhead and Kilmaurs. Into Kilmarnock, round the Kay Park and out London Road to Hurlford. Followed the cycle path part of the way to Galston, then around the farm roads towards Craigie. Never cycled out there, and hadn’t realised how hilly it was :)

Then back towards Dundonald, coffee at the castle visitor centre, Dreghorn, Irvine, Kilwinning and home. 43 miles.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Am always gobsmacked at how easy you make these journeys sound - the cycle track from Ayr to Troon via Prestwick used to be 20 miles round trip and necessitated a stop off at Toggs Cafe in Troon for a bacon roll (yes, I know! I know!) and coffee then a lie down when we got back and nothing done for the rest of the day. Feeling inadequate.......

:(
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Meg wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:40 pm Am always gobsmacked at how easy you make these journeys sound - the cycle track from Ayr to Troon via Prestwick used to be 20 miles round trip and necessitated a stop off at Toggs Cafe in Troon for a bacon roll (yes, I know! I know!) and coffee then a lie down when we got back and nothing done for the rest of the day. Feeling inadequate.......

I wouldn't feel inadequate if I were you.

These guy's have been cycling almost daily for years.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I was just talking to someone about this - I only started cycling seriously about 3 or 4 years ago, before that I would pootle about on the bike, maybe around the 3 towns or out the north shore, and think that from here to Eglinton Park was quite a long ride, needing a snack and a rest once I got there!

And then you gradually start going a little further- not always intentionally - and all of a sudden you’re going past places thinking “there’s the bit where I used to stop for a rest”, or “there’s the bit where I used to turn back..."
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I know I'm just enjoying it, I think I'm going quite quick and this morning Fullerton wheelers and walkers teams flew past me.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Meg wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:40 pm Am always gobsmacked at how easy you make these journeys sound - the cycle track from Ayr to Troon via Prestwick used to be 20 miles round trip and necessitated a stop off at Toggs Cafe in Troon for a bacon roll (yes, I know! I know!) and coffee then a lie down when we got back and nothing done for the rest of the day. Feeling inadequate.......

Meg, never feel inadequate if you cycle 40ft or 40 miles doesn't matter it's the getting into it. Also I admit writing about it is easier than doing it. Although sometimes thinking about writing about it motivates me to do it. :D
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Pushed for time today, so a shorter trip.

Up to the top of Ardrossan, then along the old high road to west kilbride.

Down the hill into WK, then out as if I was going to Dalry. Kept going straight ahead when I left the town rather than following the main road round to the right, and followed Kilruskin Rd until it met the A78 near Hunterston.

Back into Seamill, then along the north shore to Ardrossan, then home.

Lovely morning, but a bit breezy coming back along the coast.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This morning I headed to Stewarton then Kilmaurs and into kilmarnock. Through the town centre and out by Rugby Park. Gatehead next then Dundonald and back onto the cycle path at Barrassie along the beach into Troon and kept to the cycle path through Prestwick.
Had a wee break at St Ninians church then back through Prestwick town onto the cycle path at the airport. Missed out Troon and Barrassie beaches by following the local cycle route. Gailes Rd back into Irvine round the beach park, harbourside and back to the hoose. 43 sun kissed miles :D
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

My auld man got taken into hospital on Monday so 2 birds with one stone today.
A cycle to ayr hospital, stuck to the cycle path to Prestwick. Then the road into ayr and up to the hospital.
Never cycled out that way before must give it a try to Patna and Dalmellington.
Back home the same way. 36 miles.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hope your dad gets well soon, Bonzo.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Thoughts and good wishes for your dad.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".