The English Premier league

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The English Premier league

Post by michaelm »

Maybe not such a big a surprise brian, as Chelsea seem to have been in freefall all season up till now.
:santa03:
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

I think it's great. - Time the big teams got the proverbial kick-up-the-bum. They're all too complacent with all their money.
Now for Scotland. :oops:
Incidentally, Ajax and PSV are going through a similar thing here in NL.
Are times a-changin' ? I hope so. Football hasn't been worth watching for years.
If you listen to them all; players, managers, fans, experts; they're all on about winning (at any cost). They forget, what they really are - ENTERTAINERS !!!
The punters want to see exciting football and be entertained. I'd rather go home with my favourites having been thrashed 6 - 0 by six great goals than watch my lot win 1 - 0, with five yellows and three reds.

JD.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

It's difficult to put a finger on exactly why one or two of these mega rich clubs aren't performing as well on the pitch now as they'd be expected to. But maybe as you say JD. complacency has something to do with it.

Chelsea's demise from being Champions to where they are in the league at the moment for instance, is nothing short of staggering. I think they'll probably spend a fortune in January as they try to dig themselves out of the hole they're in.
In Dutch terms - and also every other European top league - there's obviously far less money in comparison to the obscene amounts being thrown about in England, mainly due to the frenzy that was created by the Sky TV contract.
I see that the big three of Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV. are still dominating things there though and the Champs will surely come from one of those.

Most Pro football players these days are just mercenaries. Lost count of the number of times I've read a quote from a player saying "My dream is to play in the English Premiership" when what they really mean is
" I'd love to be getting paid what some of those guys are on!" In the old days it was more 'play for the jersey', but now it's just play for the cash.
Mind you, it's a short career so who can blame them?

Scottish Fitba'? suffice to say my own favourite player to grace our shores from the Netherlands is
' Big Pierre '
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Michael,

one aspect you didn't touch on was the millionaire owners of some of these clubs,
There is a good example here in NL of how they are likely to behave. ADO the Hague is owned by a Chinese who promised to pay a couple of million to pay their way. It wouldn't be so bad if he refused to pay what he promised, but he just cannot be contacted; nobody has heard from him in weeks.
I'm just waiting on the Abramovitses of this world to get bored with it all and start throwing their toys out of the pram like my Chinese friend seems to have done. The clubs are just expensive toys to these people.

JD.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I agree JD.

As you imply - it's mega rich egotists playing with an expensive toy just because they can. And if/when they lose interest, some of these clubs might collapse.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Plenty of excitement this weekend.
Leicester City keep winning- 2-3 away at Everton today :)
Man United keep losing 2-1@ home to Norwich City today :lol:
Mourinho gets sacked at Chelsea yesterday, could he be on his way to Old Trafford ?
The ex Match of the Day commentator Jimmy Hill (Scotlands biggest fan) passed away today.

Big game on Monday night

Arsenal v Manchester City.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

R.I.P. Jimmy Hill.

I either loved or loathed his comments - but there were no 'In betweens' with Jimmy.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

A good day in the office today for Man City who won 4-1 against Sunderland,and Arsenal,Leicester City and Man United all losing.
Man City next game is away at Leicester City on Tuesday 29/12.Which way will that go...
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I have lost touch a bit over the holiday period, although it will be still hard to find the winner. For instance if i am correct Arsenal top the league yet got caned 4-0 at Southampton on Boxing day. The show rolls on and with the transfer window open, maybe exciting times ahead. :)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Yip brian, the Gunners now top the league by a couple of points from the Foxes, with the Citizens sitting in third spot.
A further point behind them in fourth place are the Spurs.
I've always had a soft spot for the Reds, but they've struggled so far this season and if that continues they might be doing well to finish in the top six. The Red Devils seem to be making a bit of a comeback though as they've climbed up into fifth place.
The 'business end' of the season now approaches.
In the bottom half of the league, last seasons champs - the Pensioners, look to be slowly clawing themselves a bit further away from the danger zone, especially after a good win away from home recently against the Eagles.
Three clubs are currently in a bit of trouble points wise at the bottom of the league, the Magpies, the Black Cats and the Villans.

Some fun with the club nicknames there, a few were actually very well known to me, but others I'd never heard of before I had a wee gander on the net. :)

Happy New Year to All.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

To tell you the truth Michael - i did not know half of them. :wink:
My favourite English team is probably Liverpool. I was gutted when they through the league away couple of years ago. Luis Suarez what a player he was for them. I thought under Jurgen Klopp they would be doing better. :)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

That must have been a great game yesterday ... Norwich 4, Liverpool 5. A throwback to the old days when similar types of scores seemed almost commonplace.

I see Arsenal lost to Chelsea earlier today, and that leaves Leicester 3 points clear at the top of the table.