Scotland Football Team.

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Scotland Football Team.

Post by bonzo »

Since Strachan went I've said I wouldn't mind giving slavan bilic a go. Clarke's stock is right up I'd have had him as Scotland manager no bother but I'd also like to see him doing well at killie.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Aye-i have always had a wee soft spot for Killie...
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

If the sfa were actually thinking big (no laughing at the back), bilic would have been a guy who should have been high on the list, but they would never pay his wage demands, as he was on a fortune at west ham, so it was never going materialise. As for Stevie Clarke, he is doing a more than decent job for killie, but has been in the job only a matter of months & would like to see how they finish the season.
As for Neil Lennon...its a resounding no from me
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I think I would like to see Clarke involved in mcleish's staff or maybe jack Ross both good coaches flying at the moment.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Like every other Scotland manager who's took the reigns I hope it works out for him, but I don't quite get the logic behind bringing back an unemployed past failure like McLeish who'd previously walked out of the job. It looks on the face of it here to be nothing more than a job's for the boys final pay day appointment.

Also, I don't think that guys like Neil Lennon or Steve Clarke would have been interested in the job just now.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

michaelm wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:35 pm Like every other Scotland manager who's took the reigns I hope it works out for him, but I don't quite get the logic behind bringing back an unemployed past failure like McLeish who'd previously walked out of the job. It looks on the face of it here to be nothing more than a job's for the boys final pay day appointment.

Also, I don't think that guys like Neil Lennon or Steve Clarke would have been interested in the job just now.
Here’s a list of eck’s said failures: Two league titles (who can forget helicopter Sunday) & five cups in scotland, plus a league cup in England. Also not forgetting how well he done at Motherwell, Hibs & Scotland , where he nearly got us to euro 2008 :wink:
Plenty of unemployed managers out there, but that doesn’t mean they are bad at their job. Eck’s just turned 59 so there will be plenty of fight left in him yet. Let’s get behind him & the players in this new era & wish them all the best for qualification to euro 2020.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

creamolafoam wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:18 pm
Here’s a list of eck’s said failures: Two league titles (who can forget helicopter Sunday) & five cups in scotland, plus a league cup in England. Also not forgetting how well he done at Motherwell, Hibs & Scotland , where he nearly got us to euro 2008 :wink:
Plenty of unemployed managers out there, but that doesn’t mean they are bad at their job. Eck’s just turned 59 so there will be plenty of fight left in him yet. Let’s get behind him & the players in this new era & wish them all the best for qualification to euro 2020.
If you'd taken the time to read and absorb my very first sentence above then you'd have seen that I did in fact wish the guy every success in the job.

It doesn't matter how things get dressed up, Alex McLeish is a failed past Scotland manager who didn't achieve qualification for any major tournament in his tenure.
You mentioned club stats from umpteen years ago, but here's a wee update from the real world nowadays. At the last two clubs he's managed - one in Belgium and one in Egypt - he's failed to win even a single trophy.

How about taking off those blue tinted specs you seem to be wearing for a minute or two. :lol:
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Always got the blue tinted specs on for the national team :)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

creamolafoam wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:08 pm Always got the blue tinted specs on for the national team :)
Have you got Pink one's as well cremolafoam :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

A bit personal Brian :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Better performance tonight, thought we controlled the game and we even had the luxury of missing a penalty. Disappointed I couldn't make this one Budapest is somewhere I've always fancied. I'll get one day.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Took in the Peru/Scotland friendly in Lima & we played as I thought we would, decent shape throughout but never threatened in the ninety. In fact never tested their goalie once. Found McTominay & Stevenson ok, but for the lad archer that made his debut in goals, it will prove to be his one & only cap. Peru won 2-0 & the keeper sold both of them.
Going forward for Scotland, I think we are going to struggle in major tournaments until we find a quality striker. We haven’t had one for yrs & that’s a huge headache for any Scotland manager. We have had honest pros over the last few yrs upfront, nothing more,but a distinct lack of threat in the final third is a massive problem which doesn’t look like like getting resolved any day soon.
Mexico up next, & I expect a similar performance there as well. Peru who are going to the World Cup this summer, I don’t quite know what to make of them. They played fine within themselves but that was about it, & find they may come up short to get out of a group with France, Denmark & the Aussies in it.
As for this national league coming in the autumn for Scotland, I suspect that there will be little enthusiasm for it.