Wimbledon

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Wimbledon

Post by michaelm »

Great match. I missed the first set which Andy won on the tie break.
After he won the second it looked as if it was going to be plain sailing like you said sally40bags, but Karlovic had other ideas and hung in there to give himself a chance by winning the third. Oor Andy's class and will to win told in the end though.
As for Karlovic, I've never seen anyone serve like that before, awesome!
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Andy and Rodger not long started to play. I'm too tired to watch now its 1.39 am and cold. So sorry guys but I'm going to bed. Go Andy!! Hope you win.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Just read the Saltire is not allowed at Wimbledon. Is it just the Saltire or all flags or is this just rumour?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
sally40bags
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sally40bags »

Not Sure Morag, but no flags allowed in the Royal Box. Come on Andy, I've hardly any fingernails left! We know you can do it, just wish the crowd would cheer you an a wee bit more!
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

sally40bags wrote:Not Sure Morag, but no flags allowed in the Royal Box. Come on Andy, I've hardly any fingernails left! We know you can do it, just wish the crowd would cheer you an a wee bit more!
I'm not much of a tennis fan, though mum and sis were. My cousins just got seats behind the Royal box, don't know if I could be trusted there! ;) But do hope Andy does well.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Mouthwatering men’s semi final coming up with roger meeting rafa once more. Should be a cracker.
It was great to see Andy Murray back at this yrs Wimbledon pain free & looking healthy. Also played some decent tennis in the men’s doubles and mixed doubles.
Hopefully back playing singles next yr, I think that’s his target.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Great match between Nadal and Federer, they fair give the tennis ball a sair time of it.
Those wimin were in the nip.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

morag wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:19 pm Just read the Saltire is not allowed at Wimbledon. Is it just the Saltire or all flags or is this just rumour?
Saw one or two Swiss flags yesterday on Henman Hill. Nothing inside the stadium though. Great game, secretly hoping that Federer would beat Nadal. Quite honestly the quirky movements of Nadal before serving put me off him a bit. My grandson says its his 'Anti - Stress' ritual, but perhaps its just a nervous tic.

I'm doubtful of Federer beating Djokovic tomorrow, may the best man win.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

glenshena wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 am
morag wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:19 pm Just read the Saltire is not allowed at Wimbledon. Is it just the Saltire or all flags or is this just rumour?
Saw one or two Swiss flags yesterday on Henman Hill. Nothing inside the stadium though. Great game, secretly hoping that Federer would beat Nadal. Quite honestly the quirky movements of Nadal before serving put me off him a bit. My grandson says its his 'Anti - Stress' ritual, but perhaps its just a nervous tic.

I'm doubtful of Federer beating Djokovic tomorrow, may the best man win.
Terrific effort from the goat to bt Nadal. Incredible really to think the guy turns 38 next month, yet here he is again in yet another Wimbledon final, think it’s his twelfth. But he is really up against it in the final against Djokovic who starts as favourite.
If he pulls it off and wins, surely it will go down as one of his greatest achievements. I will be rooting for the old fella.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

creamolafoam wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:51 am
Terrific effort from the goat to bt Nadal. Incredible really to think the guy turns 38 next month, yet here he is again in yet another Wimbledon final, think it’s his twelfth. But he is really up against it in the final against Djokovic who starts as favourite.
If he pulls it off and wins, surely it will go down as one of his greatest achievements. I will be rooting for the old fella.
I don't think everyone will know that "goat" translates into 'Greatest Of All Time," and to be absolutely fair I think Federer and Nadal were referred to as GOATS. And I wouldn't disagree with that!

And on that basis two GOATS will also contest the final!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Penny Tray wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:50 pm
creamolafoam wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:51 am
I don't think everyone will know that "goat" translates into 'Greatest Of All Time," and to be absolutely fair I think Federer and Nadal were referred to as GOATS. And I wouldn't disagree with that!

And on that basis two GOATS will also contest the final!
There can only be ONE goat :)
Great win for Simona Halep over Serena Williams in the ladies final. Absolutely bossed it
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

creamolafoam wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:35 pm
There can only be ONE goat :)
I'm in the company of eleven people at the moment - 7 say Federer is A GOAT, and 2 say Djokovic is a GOAT, and one old fellow says Laver is a GOAT. Apparently, therefore, there can be more than one GOAT.

Incidentally, the old fellow says, that if you were able to see Laver play Federer, collectively, you would definitely be watching the GOATS :wink:
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.