What are you reading now?

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by mike mccann »

America is going through a purple patch in crime novelists these days .
My favourite authors are Michael Connelly , Dennis Lehane , Robert Crais and Harlan Coben . They are all award winning writers of the genre . Three of Lehane’s books have been made into excellent films Shutter Island , Gone Baby Gone and Mystic River .

I have just finished “ Steve Jobs “ by Walter Isaccson . This biography was completed just after Steve‘s death last year at the early age of 56 .
It is a massive book of over 500 pages but It was easy to read because of the fascinating life Jobs lived . He certainly changed the way we live , Apple Computers , Apple Stores, App stores , iphones, itunes and ipads and also of course Pixar Films .
I can’t say that I would have liked to work for him but he was a visionary genius bursting with ideas , a
perfectionist and got things done .
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Currently reading 'The Tenants of Time', historical fiction by Thomas Flanagan. It is set in 1904 but deals with Irish risings in the 1860's. The author is American but the tone of the book is Irish. I'm enjoying it. At the same time for a quick browse now and then I've a bunch of 'light' reading, one which makes me feel a bit better about my memory (or lack) is '1000 Unforgettable Senior Moments'...some laugh out loud ...an example: 17th century French Compte de Brancas, playing Backgammon, asks for a glass of wine. He proceeds to gulp down the dice and throw the wine on the board, soaking his opponent in the process!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Ooooh! See Gordon Ferris has a new book out, 'Bitter Water', a sequel to 'The Hanging Shed'. Next buy! :D
C.S.Lewis
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Currently reading "Revolutionary Road" - bits at a time. Really enjoying it. By Richard Yates. About an unhappy couple who decide to move to Paris, then it all falls to pieces. Interesting view of a couple who, quite frankly, would not have been happy ANYWHERE.

So good I must rent the DVD.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

morag wrote:Ooooh! See Gordon Ferris has a new book out, 'Bitter Water', a sequel to 'The Hanging Shed'. Next buy! :D
Did you enjoy Morag? I finished it in jig time. I love when a book is too good to put down!

Meg
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Haven't had a chance yet Meg..still reading Tenants of Time.. it's a good read but one you, well, I, can only take my time with. Loved the Hanging Shed though, that one went fast..I can't wait to read then I'm disappointed it's over! lol!
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

This is not a response to " What are you reading right now" but a book i don't intend reading. I've heard female colleagues chatting about a book entitled " 50 shades of grey", they were quite secretive with advice to download it on to a kindle type device preventing others knowing what you are reading if in public . When making enquiries with one of my team ( originally from Glasgow ) she said " check out 50 shades of Glasgow" on the comp its a lot more funnier. OMG
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Jings Plum..you just tapped into one of my main irritants, i.e. the misuse of fun and all it's bits and pieces! 'It was so fun' 'it was funner' ' a lot more funnier' ..aaaarrrrggghhhh!
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

morag wrote:Jings Plum..you just tapped into one of my main irritants, i.e. the misuse of fun and all it's bits and pieces! 'It was so fun' 'it was funner' ' a lot more funnier' ..aaaarrrrggghhhh!
Jings Morag, you just tapped into one of my irritants. aaaarrrrggghhh.
I don't mess wi glesga burds quotes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

yeah..prob my obit will read choked on being polite..
C.S.Lewis
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Currently reading "Midnight Bayou" by Nora Roberts: a haunted house story which also looks at reincarnation !!

Fantastic !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Colmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Colmac »

'The hanging shed' by Gordon Ferris. An excellent read, set shortly after the 2nd World war plus a good deal of the action takes place in Arran. The main character isn't too keen on the Ardrossan to Brodick ferry as events unfold.

http://www.gordonferris.com/wpimages/wpef80b4e0_06.png