trooping the colour

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

trooping the colour

Post by glenshena »

Living abroad, I never had the occasion to watch this ceremony,. Also because I am not a royalist. But watching today I was really impressed by all of the soldiers in their red uniforms and black busbies marching in front of the queen. I was expecting someone to collapse in the heat!. The horses were beautifully groomed and the band and drums a pleasure to listen to. The queen, who seems to be getting smaller and smaller, was a lonely figure without Philip by her side...Tomorrow he will be 97. A performance like this could only be done by the British. It almost seemed unreal in this day and age,. This ceremony certainly surpassed Harry's wedding. The flyover of all the old war planes and the red arrows emitting red, white and blue smoke was perfection. As the commentator said, makes you proud to be British.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: trooping the colour

Post by glenshena »

Was told today there was a casualty. A certain Marshal Guthrie, age 79, collapsed while on horseback on his way to Buckingham Palace. I'm not surprised with the tremendous heat that day. Hope he will make a full recovery.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

glenshena wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:15 pm Living abroad, I never had the occasion to watch this ceremony,. Also because I am not a royalist. But watching today I was really impressed by all of the soldiers in their red uniforms and black busbies marching in front of the queen. I was expecting someone to collapse in the heat!. The horses were beautifully groomed and the band and drums a pleasure to listen to. The queen, who seems to be getting smaller and smaller, was a lonely figure without Philip by her side...Tomorrow he will be 97. A performance like this could only be done by the British. It almost seemed unreal in this day and age,. This ceremony certainly surpassed Harry's wedding. The flyover of all the old war planes and the red arrows emitting red, white and blue smoke was perfection. As the commentator said, makes you proud to be British.
Terrific spectacle. The weans faces on the balcony watching the flyover were a picture.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

The old boy came down with quite a thud.
Those wimin were in the nip.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

bonzo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:12 pm The old boy came down with quite a thud.
Is that Kryten from red dwarf reporting?
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Watched this beautiful parade again today, hard to believe another year has passed since the last one. Thankfully for the soldiers not such a hot day as last year. The queen is amazing for her 93 years, when so many of her age are suffering from Alzheimers etc.
I thought it was odd that the parading soldiers now carry ugly Kalashnikov rifles instead of the normal British rifles that they used to carry. Spoils the nice red uniform that we are used to admiring.
Didn't recognise half of the crowd on the balcony.