Four in a bed

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Four in a bed

Post by glenshena »

Today on channel 4 I watched this programme for the first time. 4 couples compete between themselves for the title of best B&B. I got the shock of my life to see the EDENMORE bed and breakfast in Ardrossan featured as a competitor against other 3 english B&Bs. The Castle Ruins were filmed, and dinner was had in what I took to be the Lauriston. A long distance shot of Montgomery Crescent and Winton Circus featuring my home was the icing on the cake. What I didn't understand was that Hugh, the owner of the Edenmore, took the group to an indoor ice curling pool which I have no idea where this could be. Would it have been Auchenharvie Ice Rink? The Edenmore came a joint second out of the four competitors. The outside of the property was much criticised, two of the couples said they felt like going away when they arrived, but once inside were pleasantly surprised. I never watch TV in the morning, but as I was doing the Christmas decorations I put it on. What a lovely surprise, of all the B&Bs in Scotland, to have seen the only one in Ardrossan was amazing.👍
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Four in a bed

Post by bonzo »

Glenshena, there was definitely a curling club at ayr icerink don't know if it's still on the go.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

:think: Am I right in thinking that Edenmore is the last white building on the right in the banner at the top of this page?
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hugh, I am pretty sure it is near the academy
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Going towards Saltcoats, it's the last house on the right before the Academy - i.e. 47 Parkhouse Road, Ardrossan.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Ah! Wasn't that originally the dentist's surgery - had a few fillings done in there. Or, was there further buildings added, as I recall vacant land beyond before the Stanley burn.

Added:
Just had a look on Google, and it does look like it's a more modern building. The second last house on the right going towards the academy could have been the dentist's surgery back in the fifties.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

We just looked at Google too and I thought Edenmore might have been the second house from the Academy. We thought the dentist was the one nearer the Academy
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

bonzo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:17 pm Glenshena, there was definitely a curling club at ayr icerink don't know if it's still on the go.
Perhaps Bonzo but the couples just arrived from a long trip from England for one night, I dont see them taking off for Ayr just before dinner.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I've never seen this show but I would be very surprised if they filmed it in real time.
Those wimin were in the nip.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I think I'll send him a mail and ask him where is the curling rink near Ardrossan. I'll let you know his answer.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Didn’t see the show, but I would presume auchenharvie, https://www.kaleisure.com/activities/ot ... activities

Edenmore is actually 3 separate houses
https://goo.gl/maps/P9pwT4JGPtq

A pal of mine stayed there - he was cycling from Lands End to John O’Groats - one of the popular routes passes through the 3 towns. He wasn’t impressed. "The B&B in Ardrossan was a bit stressful what with the family rottweiler being pregnant and all that. ‘It makes her behave a bit more aggressively when strangers are around’ (this is a B&B remember) The rules were simple, ‘do not open that door or that door and don’t put your hand near the fence when in she is in he garden. She is such a big friendly thing…. usually’ "
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

There was no mention of a dog. And the website greatly praises the wife Moira who is very rarely seen on the show. Hugh was the one doing everything. Seemingly he is a retired policeman, and the show was in October 2014, 3 years ago!. They are not answering my mail with the curling rink question so I presume they are closed in the winter.