Earliest TV Comedies remembered

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Earliest TV Comedies remembered

Post by Hughie »

For me the earliest was perhaps Arthur Haines who was before his time. And I can't help but think that the Aussie Crocodile Dundee (Paul Hogan) used the Arthur Haines format to launch his early career into comedy.

What are your recollections on TV's early comedies?
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Earliest TV Comedies remembered

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Harry Worth, Norman Wisdom, Billy Bunter.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

As far as earliest comedy tv show memories go I vaguely remember watching "The One O'clock Gang" in the early 60's on the black and white tv we had at the time. I was still just a nipper then so probably didn't "get" many of the jokes.
Don't think there were too many day-time shows on tv at that time so the only other tv alternative was watching the test card! :lol:
I think just before The One O'clock Gang came on screen the test card played background music like ... 'Charlie is My Darling' and 'Wi' a Hundred Piper's an aw an aw' etc.
Last edited by michaelm on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Michael - The One o'clock Gang Show on STV was hosted by Larry Marshall with singers Dorothy Paul, Moira Briody, Charlie Sim (sometime comedian) and Jimmy Nairn (Sim's Straight man) - I think Jimmy Nairn is father to Nick Nairn, Chef.

You're right about the music that started STV's daytime shows.

I went to see Dorothy Paul's one woman show in the Gaiety a few years back - great show!
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I saw all sorts of famous comedies at an early age; I can have been no more than five when I remember watching Hancock's Half Hour, since it finished in 1961; I liked Sid the best. And I have vague memories of seeing Sergeant Bilko similarly young, though I can't possibly have followed the ingenious plots; on maturer viewing, one of my all-time favourites.

I was so taken with The Rag Trade ( Reg Varney, Miriam Karlin, Sheila Hancock etc ) that I used to go round with a tape measure round my neck, though I remember nothing else about it now. I was also a great fan of Harry Worth's bumbling mishaps, and Hugh and I with Hugh Lloyd and Terry Scott.

And then there were the American imports of the mid-sixties; The Dick Van Dyke Show, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart ( a spy spoof sending up The Man from Uncle ), and re-runs of I Love Lucy. Great days; they just don't seem to make them like that any more.

Susan
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

For me it would be 70s comedies spike milligans Q, monty python, love thy neighbour,it ain half hot mum, the goodies,the likely lads and of course fawlty towers.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

I Love Lucy and the Honeymooners were my favourites.
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Meg wrote:Michael - The One o'clock Gang Show on STV was hosted by Larry Marshall with singers Dorothy Paul, Moira Briody, Charlie Sim (sometime comedian) and Jimmy Nairn (Sim's Straight man) - I think Jimmy Nairn is father to Nick Nairn, Chef.

You're right about the music that started STV's daytime shows.

I went to see Dorothy Paul's one woman show in the Gaiety a few years back - great show!
Didn't Dorothy Paul go on to be one of the main cast in TW3 with David Frost?
JD.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

JD,

I think you're thinking of Millicent Martin, a key figure in That Was The Week That Was (for the sake of the younger folk :wink: )
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Dead right Lawrence.
I was right though, in that they were both women. :roll: //funny
JD.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

michaelm wrote: I think just before The One O'clock Gang came on screen the test card played background music like ... 'Charlie is My Darling' and 'Wi' a Hundred Piper's an aw an aw' etc.
“Scotlandia”, by Geraldo and his Orchestra!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Krj8EV1JJLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Bruce - the music brought it all back to me there - especially at the end.//perfect
Last edited by michaelm on Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.