What's the latest movie you've seen?

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What's the latest movie you've seen?

Post by Vivc113 »

I saw "My Cousin Rachel" yesterday. Written by Daphne Du Maurier. Possibly the worst movie I ever saw.

Blatantly obvious Rachel was a bad character. The male lead was so besotted, but really should have clocked it anyway.

Another one for DEBRA.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Yesterday evening on National tv first channel they had the cheek to show 'GONE WITH THE WIND' !!!! It was so awful I couldn't watch it. To show that on New Years Day was an insult. It may have been an epic 70 years ago but for todays audience it is pathetic. The acting, the story, the quality of film, really poor compared to todays standards.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

glenshena wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:14 pm Yesterday evening on National tv first channel they had the cheek to show 'GONE WITH THE WIND' !!!! It was so awful I couldn't watch it. To show that on New Years Day was an insult. It may have been an epic 70 years ago but for todays audience it is pathetic. The acting, the story, the quality of film, really poor compared to todays standards.
You know what TV companies are like, frankly my dear they don't give a damn :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

glenshena wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:14 pm Yesterday evening on National tv first channel they had the cheek to show 'GONE WITH THE WIND' !!!! It was so awful I couldn't watch it. To show that on New Years Day was an insult. It may have been an epic 70 years ago but for todays audience it is pathetic. The acting, the story, the quality of film, really poor compared to todays standards.
Gone with the wind was nominated in every category for the oscars & won eight, so your scathing criticism seems to be a tad off the mark. Every Xmas/New year we inevitably end up watching old movies/programmes & really enjoy them, usually end up better viewing than most new stuff on telly. Yesterday we watched the birth of the tramp, all about Charlie chaplains character & thoroughly enjoyed it.
But remember in this day & age if you don’t fancy watching that particular channel, there’s always another few hundred to choose from.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

The other channels were mostly childrens films and as I dont have SKY I had an early night.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Watched Hidden Figures - a really inspiring true story of the African American women who were employed by NASA as computers, ie people who compute mathematical calculations, including John Glenn’s trajectory to make a safe return back to Earth. Would recommend.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I would really love to see again 'the story of Esther Costello' a film from the 1950's with the great Joan Crawford and Rosanno Brazzi and Heather Sears. I must have been 9 or 10 when it came out but I thought it was one of the best films I had ever seen. I think George Clooney's wife Amal looks a little like Joan Crawford.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

glenshena wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:03 am I would really love to see again 'the story of Esther Costello' a film from the 1950's with the great Joan Crawford and Rosanno Brazzi and Heather Sears. I must have been 9 or 10 when it came out but I thought it was one of the best films I had ever seen. I think George Clooney's wife Amal looks a little like Joan Crawford.
Glenshena, there is a series airing just now called the feud. It's about Joan Crawford and bette Davis and their hatred of each other. I've not watched it but the trailer I seen Joan is portrayed by Jessica lange and bette by Susan sarandon and they both look very convincing.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I'll look out for it. Betty Davies was my fathers favourite actress, I think Susan Sarandon could imitate her very well. Did they really hate each other or was it just the roles they were playing? Joan Crawford was a hero in Esther Costello, she played a lot of good roles but to me that was the best.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Have a read at this glenshena (beware there's a wee sweary half way through)
https://black-and-white-movies.com/bett ... -crawford/
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Thanks Bonzo. So it was all true. How awful.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Just finished watching the feud on TV between Joan Crawford and Betty Davis. What unhappy ladies. Thanks to you Bonzo, if you hadn't told me I would have missed it.