Where and what in Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Where and what in Ardrossan

Post by calleytwo »

I think I have aluded elsewhere to the dreary sad evening we had our immigration medicals in Ardrossan. I am now wondering where they took place. I seem to remember it was a place off the main street on a street leading to Castle Hill. The interior I think had dreary cream and chocolate painted walls. I dont think it was just a surgery - in my memory seemed larger - but to an 8 year old that may have been an exagerated view. Where would it have been please? Wee Ali
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Where and what in Ardrossan

Post by Hughie »

calleytwo wrote: we had our immigration medicals in Ardrossan. I am now wondering where they took place. I seem to remember it was a place off the main street on a street leading to Castle Hill.
Ali, that would have been Dr Duff's surgery in Anderson Terrace at the junction with Seaton Street which runs off the main street, Glasgow Street. We, and many other threetowners had their medicals there for going to Australia. It's next door to Winton school and is on the way to Castle (Cannon) Hill. It's the red building in the first post in this topic.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Thanks Hughie - I appreciate that. BTW did you have your interviews in Kilmarnock? I remember being in a first floor office overlooking what looked like a bomb site or demolition site next door. Wee AlT
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Sorry for the late reply, Ali. Been out kicking the heels up at our R & R club. Had a talk with oor Betty, and we're both at a loss remembering where we had our interview with the Australian migration Officer. Though we are pretty sure it wasn't in the three towns or in Glasgow, so it's quiet possible it was in Kilmarnock.

Perhaps others from the three towns who migrated to Australia could supply the answer. :?
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Hughie. I remember that we went up to Edinburgh,for our interview.Dr Duff ,Done the smallpox etc,later on.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Maggie T,
I see you left for Australia in 1962 - that was one great topic when we recounted our experiences on migrating.
But no, we didn't go to Edinburgh for the interview in 1964, I'm sure of that.
reidsville
Settling In
Settling In

Post by reidsville »

Hughie for me it was a trade test and interview in Edinburgh and then the Family had to go to Glasgow for Medicals(1989) Cheers