Is there sectarianism in the 3Ts?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Richard

Re: Is there sectarianism in the 3Ts?

Post by Richard »

Yes, that's one way of tackling it, but it's a very slow way of tackling it.
Personally, If I have a problem with something, I tend to find a problem is best dealt with at the source.
If you have a burst pipe you don't wrap a bandage around it.

Just out of interest scotty, a couple of questions if you don't mind.
Please don't answer if you're not completely comfortable with answering them:
(1): Who's responsible for the Catholic churches policies; the Church or it's followers ?
(2): Do you accept the fact that Scotland is a predominantly Protestant country and has every right to be so ?

To add another to your list of 3 "strategy examples" that you gave - or it could be the flip side of the 3rd one:
If you don't agree with Unionism and believe it is destroying Scotland, then stand up to it.
(There is nothing more divisive than sectarianism and there is no better example than divide & rule)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Richard, I am becoming uncomfortable with the direction this thread is heading in. If you are genuinely interested in Scottyd's answers, can I ask you to take it to PM please.

Meg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Don't bother, scotty.
Any attempt at debate is pointless.
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scottyd »

Richard,
I think Meg has it spot on.
jinit
Settling In
Settling In

Post by jinit »

Hi everyone,

I am nearly 70 now and a long distance from the three towns. When I read the posts to the 3Ts web site I am really sad because sectarianism robbed me from knowing many of my contemporaries who attended ‘protestant’ schools while I attended ‘catholic’ schools.

This divide was so ridiculous that, as a 5-year-old, I was sent from our house in Glasgow Street to Ailsa Gardens to attend primary school from the baby class to year 4, when the Winton School was 100 paces up Seton Street. Four years of trailing up and down the scheme. Four years of meeting and battling the ‘protestants’ going to and from the scheme to Winton Primary.

Thankfully I have been far out of the reach of sectarian politics since 1970. However I am left with a feeling of loss that can never be fixed. I deeply resent the barriers that resulted in me not knowing so many of you. The sectarianism and indoctrination was all in vain because I married a protestant – from Stevenston.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I think you need to get over it Jinit, I married a prod..well actually a guy who hadn't been brought up in any religion. When we married he accepted and agreed to the conditions. When our first child was born he decided to be baptised with him, we attended church regularly. then we stopped. I've never had problems with religious diffs.
Probably had more non Catholic friends than catholic. Well, not if you count family.. :)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
jinit
Settling In
Settling In

Post by jinit »

Thanks Morag,

Never had any problems with religious differences either and I don't know or care what my friends believe. I think that continuing the different schools policy is not helpful when it comes to having a harmonious society.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hello Jinit and a warm welcome to the 3Ts. Whilst I can see the merits of having everyone going through the same education system, I also recognise that we have a democratic right to religious freedom and regardless of what that religion is, it must be tolerated within the community. One thing, as a primary school teacher, I applaud the teaching of the world's main religions in our schools, however, I have never seen sectarianism being addressed - or even mentioned. I agree that it would be a difficult subject to tackle, but the benefits of insight might help us make our communities more harmonious.

Meg
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Meg, I agree that all have a democratic right to religious belief and freedom and that all religions should be welcomed within a community, but I don't understand the logic that would extend that to a right to have separate schools. Surely education in the beliefs and customs of a religion is the responsibility of the church and family? For those who want to go on to become 'priests' then, yes, there would be separate colleges.
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Did,not know it ever did not when I was growing up I I always hung about with boys and girls of both religion.
I am 65now and did not even Care that Veronica who I worked for and hung about with her niece young Veronica for years were Catholic.
I live in Ulster now and know how bigoted some people are,but believe me I have never seen it in the towns when I was growing up.
My gran used to tells us that we were all Gods children no matter what church we went to.
Ian
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I don't know if there still is, expect so. There definitely was 50's, 60's. Mostly we just got by with it and there were just a few bigots, both sides. Suspect the incoming Irish like my grampa who couldn't get work there, coming to Ayrshire, already a depressed area, didn't help.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Now that was a discussion. Why are we not having anything like this these days?
I was hoping for something like this with the thread I started the other week.

JD.