Police Houses

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Police Houses

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, There were four police houses in Mulgrew Ave
killiejok
Settling In
Settling In

Post by killiejok »

Penny Tray wrote: When I was a boy Sergeant Ivy Willet lived in one of them. Constable Willie McCrindle may have lived in the other. Constable McCrindle, I remember used to cut the grass at St Peter's RC Church on his days off. I often saw him as I passed in a bus. I think he emigrated to Australia in the mid-60s.
When I was a boy, I would visit my grandfather's cousin, Sgt Ivy Willet, at Harbour Street.

While at Ardeer Primary (approx 1966), there were two McCrindle brothers whose father was a policeman and they lived in Golf Avenue.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I posted this back in 2005. Another legacy left for us by Bob Auld.
Hughie wrote:Willie McCrindle ~ By Bob Auld

Willie McCrindle is leaving
For Australia's far off shore
We're all going to miss him
Of that I'm very sure
We know he is a canny lad
And easy in his ways
Right and wrong is his concern
So he watches what he says
The sorry hearts he's leaving
I surely heal In time will surely heal
But let me tell you if I can
Exactly how I feel.
More verses

About Bob Auld
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Killiejok,

Golf Avenue, Stevenston, is another good shout as a location for police houses. You bring back to mind too that there were 2 Constables 'McCrindle', William, who emigrated to Australia, and the one you've identified as a resident at Golf Avenue. The latter, whose first name I can't recall, was also stationed in Ardrossan at one time and may even have resided in one of the police houses in St. Andrews Road before his transfer to Ardeer Factory.

Looking back to the 2005 topic attached by Hughie, neither of these police families should be confused with the siblings Marion (Mari), William (Billy), Donald and Senga McCrindle who lived in Dalry Road, Ardrossan.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

P T

The costable who lived beside "Big Jock" Shearer in St Andrew's Road was John McCrindle.

Tom McGrattan
killiejok
Settling In
Settling In

Post by killiejok »

I need to correct the post re Ivy Willet , he was my mother's cousin. Ivy's brother Jim was also a police officer and lived next to the McCrindles at Golf Avenue.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

McGrattan,

You're correct, it was John McCrindle.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

killiejok wrote:I need to correct the post re Ivy Willet
Hi John, you can edit your original post if you like. A time stamp will appear below it to indicate that you have altered it - this only comes into play if someone has posted after you.
There is also a box under the post you are editing to put a reason or you can leave it blank if you wish. :puter
weeliz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by weeliz »

Not sure but I have a very vague recollection that there was actually a flat above Stevenston police station in Station Road which was occupied by the Lockharts before they moved to Boglemart Street? Maybe a figment of my imagination tho.
Then there were several police houses at the Villas. I remember the 2 in Golf Avenue and 1 next to the Police station and a couple up the Hayocks.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Weeliz,

All 'Threetowns' police stations, - i.e. the ones in Harbour Street, Ardrossan; Green Street, Saltcoats; and New Street, Stevenstons - when originally built, had 'single quarters' on the upper floors to accommodate unmarried officers until such times as they were either able or allowed by the hierarchy to find 'digs'.

The Ardrossan 'quarters' were still in use in the mid-60s, eventually, like the other two, being taken over as office space.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

All locations listed are correct. As far as Ardrossan is concerned ,the last houses allocated to the Police Authority were the two houses in Harvey gardens at the bottom of the steps leading to Seafield Drive.