murchies tea room princes street ardrossan 55-56

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
sandra xa
Settling In
Settling In

murchies tea room princes street ardrossan 55-56

Post by sandra xa »

this was a great tearoom. they had the lovely big open fire. a nice cup of boveril. we were really poor in them days
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: murchies tea room princes street ardrossan 55-56

Post by unicornheart »

gosh i had completely forgot the open fire and big cream cakes mmmm in murchies.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

when i left school and got started in the plumbers shop in the shipyard i got sent up at dinnertime for the chips,one day it was murchies (we went in the back entrance) then the next day it would be eugenes he was the only one that made the wee skinny chips what we call french fries,and im sure murchie supplied most of the ships that came into the harbour with groceries maybe some one can verify that ,and didnt they also have a shop on the corner of glasgow street and winton street .
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by unicornheart »

i don,t know if it was a murchies shop but i do remember they also had a mobile van at that location? corner of winton street, maybe someone else has a better memory?
PhilipDinOZ
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PhilipDinOZ »

Years later..... I was thinking about Murchies today.

My nana used to take me to ‘tea with her ladies’ and bowling pals back in the 1960s. A Murchies’ cake from the posh cake stand was a thing of wonder!!!!!

And before supermarkets, Murchies used to delive the week’s shopping , in a wee cardboard box. Butter cut patted and wrapped by hand. And Brooke Bond tea. The joy of getting the orange stamp from the packet and maybe. Just maybe. A collectors card that you didn’t already have. Happy days 😂
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I have similar memories of Murchie's tea rooms when I was only about four years old just after the war. I was taken there by my 2nd cousin, Elsie Hand my mum's cousin and best friend. It seemed to be a place at the time where local ladies used to meet - she and her pal took me there - I think her name was Senga Morrison.

The tea-rooms were across the road from the Lyric picture house and alongside the close through where in later years I'd regularly get my hair cut by Pat Erskine.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

unicornheart wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 pm i don,t know if it was a murchies shop but i do remember they also had a mobile van at that location? corner of winton street, maybe someone else has a better memory?
There was a little grocery shop up past Seton street on Glasgow street that had a mobile van. It was called either Davidson’s or Pederson’s. The son Robert operated the van later, his Mother and sister ran the shop. They lived in Seton street.
Last edited by bobnetau on Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

My early memories of those days were going to Mrs Welsh in the town station kiosk to get my dad’s paper and my comics, before crossing the road to Murchies for the morning rolls, and in the money exchange farthings were involved, either in the payment or in the change.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Murchies was a Saturday routine for My Mother my Sister and myself fond memories of it loved the cakes...
johndo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johndo »

bobnetau wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:47 am
unicornheart wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 pm i don,t know if it was a murchies shop but i do remember they also had a mobile van at that location? corner of winton street, maybe someone else has a better memory?
There was a little grocery shop up past Seton street on Glasgow street that had a mobile van. It was called either Davidson’s or Pederson’s. The son Robert operated the van later, his Mother and sister ran the shop. They lived in Seton street.
The shop was corner of Winton Street, still a shop last visit. they also had mobile shop. Both called Davidsons I think. The Pederson's stayed along end of Park Road.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

A wee mix up here, there are two shops in question.
One on the corner of Winton Street/Glasgow Street which was Murchies later to become Myka frozen foods, and now a convenience store.
The second one was further up Glasgow Street mid way between Seton Street and Park Road and it was Davidson’s and they had a mobile shop. It is now a house. On the corner of Park Road opposite the toilets was Maroni’s fish and chip shop. It later became a fruit and vegetable shop, and has also become a house.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

meekan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:07 am A wee mix up here, there are two shops in question.
One on the corner of Winton Street/Glasgow Street which was Murchies later to become Myka frozen foods, and now a convenience store.
The second one was further up Glasgow Street mid way between Seton Street and Park Road and it was Davidson’s and they had a mobile shop. It is now a house. On the corner of Park Road opposite the toilets was Maroni’s fish and chip shop. It later became a fruit and vegetable shop, and has also become a house.
That was the one I was referring to. The family that ran it lived on the same landing as us in Seton street. A mother and daughter and son, Robert. I always got confused about the shop name as I think the family’s name was different to the shop.