Three Towns datestones

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Three Towns datestones

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, Is it the Lauriston extention.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

George Ardrossan wrote:Alan

It's not the Masonic Lodge.

You've probably been in the building as has Penny Tray and many others ... :)

George
better not be st peters chapel as I have never been in there :evil:

okay a place myself and PT have been.... alfies, charlies bar, tap shop, lauriston, :lol: //funny //perfect
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

wellparkno9 wrote:Hi, Is it the Lauriston extention.
aland wrote: Okay a place myself and PT have been.... alfies, charlies bar, tap shop, lauriston, :lol: //funny //perfect
Well done, wellparkno9 and aland. The datestone is on the Lauriston Hotel.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

And there was me checking all the churches :wink:.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

George, that was a stonker. The old style red sandstone, with what could be considered a modern date, had me flummoxed. Well done to wellpark and aland. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Here's yet another Ardrossan datestone. On a house in Chapelhill Mount is a plaque commemorating it as the two-thousandth house of the Burgh of Ardrossan. The photos were taken last week and are uploaded here with the permission of the householder.

George
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Time to return to Saltcoats; though I must confess, we have here only a POSSIBLE datestone.

However, it sits on a building which has in any case an interesting wall plaque well worthy of mention anyway.It's another of the features noticed and photographed by Seoirse:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/re_teacher/40916205/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And while I was ( in a virtual sense ) down on the seafront looking at the Apollo, I thought I'd try to find it. Didn't have to go very far; it's on one of the Winton Circus houses, right opposite it:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Saltcoa ... 36.75,,2,0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's plain enough that that's the one up on the wall. But there's also another,not the same, above the door. Impossible to make it out clearly however much it's blown up; but there seems to be a semicircle of lettering, above four marks which just might be numbers....A name and a date...or just two parts of a name ?

Only closer inspection by someone who's in a position to take a look on the ground, will answer that one.

And any interesting information about the house itself and its history, would also be very welcome.

Susan
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi, the name of the house is ,FASSET VILLA.I will check later to see if there is a date.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Suspect it's probably only the name over the door then, Sam, with the " Villa " just looking like four letter markings from a distance. But thanks a lot for your info, and for your offer to check it out . Unusual name for the house, not one I've ever heard of in a Three Towns connection.

Susan
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Susan, I have not checked it out yet.I remember my mother telling me that when she was wee ,in the '20's it was owned by a french man.I dont know if Fasset is a french word.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

wellparkno9 wrote:Susan, I have not checked it out yet.I remember my mother telling me that when she was wee ,in the '20's it was owned by a french man.I dont know if Fasset is a french word.
Fasset was probably his name. His being French (from Paris likely) would explain the crest and motto.
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
maccate
Settling In
Settling In

Post by maccate »

There is a datestone on the beach wall on Montgomerie Crescent. Don't think its the original though, but has the original date. Keep meaning to take a picture of it but everytime I go to take one it's raining.