Where have you encounterd a threetowner?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Where have you encounterd a threetowner?

Post by Hughie »

Met one in the sauna today after my regular dook here in Geelong, Australia. He got in first and asked me where I was from. Ardrossan says I. Saltcoats says he. Didn't have much time to talk to him as there were a few other conversations going on. I've been a regular there for a few years and never met him before.

I'm hoping Michael Irvine doesn't mind me posting this. He's a retire shipping navigation officer with P & O and grew up in Anderson Drive in Saltcoats. Aged around 64 and came to Oz in 1969. like many of us he has the orange and green in his blood and went to a few schools including Kyleshill / Ardrossan Academy and even the Central/St Peters.

Hope to meet up with him again. In the meantime have you ever encountered a threetowner in such a situation?

lurking members, here's you chance to participate - we're in need of new posters.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Where have you encounterd a threetowner?

Post by John Donnelly »

Just last Sunday, I was playing a golf competition here in Holland. After the round, I sat next to a chap and got talking to him. Where are you from says I. Stevenston in Ayrshire says he. Jim Moore from Moorpark Rd. West.

JD.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

I had several pints in the Tap Shop last night with a well known member of this board :)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Mitchy wrote:I had several pints in the Tap Shop last night with a well known member of this board :)
That's an easy one, Mitchy. Hope he introduced his expat pal as one of Hughie's Ardrossan cousins.

That gives me an idea for a topic. :twisted:
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Hughie wrote:
Mitchy wrote:I had several pints in the Tap Shop last night with a well known member of this board :)
That's an easy one, Mitchy. Hope he introduced his expat pal as one of Hughie's Ardrossan cousins.

That gives me an idea for a topic. :twisted:
Hi Hughie,

I was with Tom McGrattan in the pub, but Rowanside did indeed come in with a chap, who Tom informed me was your cousin. I understand he has been in Australia for 40 years.

I await your new topic with interest.

Take care,

Mitchy
Jimbo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimbo »

Hi"Yall
Not! a he/she, but an "it", Having just landed in New Zealand,[1973] and disliking Auckland Immediately, I stuck a pin in a map.
The first pinhole in the middle of the Tasman sea,no point of going there, so the next one was in the middle of Taranaki so I caught a bus heading south. Feeling jet-lagged and depressed, homesick already, the bus turned a corner and there in the middle of the nowhere was an old red barn with the words "Guid auld Ardrossan
This lifted my spirits immediately, and made me feel a whole lot better[ apart from the food poison]
hope y''all have a great summer
cheers Jim
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

On the 16th of October 1996, whilst seconded to Amsterdam in a plainclothes Football Liaison role, accompanied by two uniformed officers from the local Police Force, I attended a reported disturbance in the railway station adjacent to the Ajax Stadium. The perpetrators had of course fled the scene and the only people in the entire station were two young men attired in Glasgow Rangers colours, strangely standing on the platform which would take them away from the impending game. Because of this one of the Dutch Officers, in his slow deliberate English, asked, "What-are-you-doing?" - and one young guy replied, "We came to the game withouts tickets, clearly we're not going to them now, so we're going back to Amsterdam, hopefully in time to see the game on television." The conversation then went like this. "And-where-do-you-come-from?" - "Scotland." - "Of-course! But-what-part-of-Scotland?" - It's a place called Ayrshire" [at which my ears pricked up] "a town called Ardrossan." - "And-where-do-you-stay-in-this-town?" And the boy said, "It's a street called Stanley Road." And mimicking both the accent and mannerisms of the Dutch officer I said, "The-school-end-or-the-cemetery-end?" And the boy said, "For f*** sake."

The humour was missed on the Dutch officers but the boys and I, when they realised I wasn't Dutch, had a good laugh. It remains a favourite moment in my travels.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Loved that, Penny. A real classic. It brought back memories of a time when I was on plain clothes duty at Melbourne Airport and had to ignore a famous threetowner I was standing alongside - the adrenaline was pumping in my commitment to duty. :roll:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

Not wishing to stray from the topic, I had a colleague who travelled to Helsinki in the same football liaison role when Scotland were playing there. He was called to a pub with two local uniformed officers only to find the place bouncing with the Tartan Army. One fan, his scarf stretched to its limit above his head, was standing on a table shouting, "SCOOOOTLAND, SCOOOOTLAND." When one of the policemen said, "Get-off-the-table", the response was simply another chorus of "SCOOOOTLAND, SCOOOOTLAND." "Get-off-the-table-now", said the officer, only to hear yet another rendition of "SCOOOOTLAND, SCOOOOTLAND", at which point my colleague stepped forward and said, "Hi you, get aff the table now or you're gaun tae the jile." The stunned fan lowered his scarf and said, "Where are you fae big man?" - and when he said, "Springburn" - the fan shouted, "Hi boys, the big Finnish polis is fae Springburn."
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
wardog54
Settling In
Settling In

Post by wardog54 »

I met Mary Therese Mackateer in the labour/delivery ward in the old general hospital in apr 1984, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Mary and I lived and grew up together across the street from each other in Busbie Drive (strathclyde something?)

My wife at the time was in delivering our 2nd child (daughter), when I went in to visit after work one night she asked me if I knew Mary and I said yes and also how I knew her.

When I asked her why she said come with me and went down the hall to the adjoining room and there was Mary in bed with her 2nd child lol.

The doctor who delivered our daughter was from Arran and his father owned the trucking company there. So needless to say my ex-wife now wasn't happy about me and the doc chatting about the Ardrossan watering holes we had both visited while she was trying to delivery our daughter lol.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Penny Tray wrote:On the 16th of October 1996, whilst seconded to Amsterdam in a plainclothes Football Liaison role, accompanied by two uniformed officers from the local Police Force, I attended a reported disturbance in the railway station adjacent to the Ajax Stadium. The perpetrators had of course fled the scene and the only people in the entire station were two young men attired in Glasgow Rangers colours, strangely standing on the platform which would take them away from the impending game. Because of this one of the Dutch Officers, in his slow deliberate English, asked, "What-are-you-doing?" - and one young guy replied, "We came to the game withouts tickets, clearly we're not going to them now, so we're going back to Amsterdam, hopefully in time to see the game on television." The conversation then went like this. "And-where-do-you-come-from?" - "Scotland." - "Of-course! But-what-part-of-Scotland?" - It's a place called Ayrshire" [at which my ears pricked up] "a town called Ardrossan." - "And-where-do-you-stay-in-this-town?" And the boy said, "It's a street called Stanley Road." And mimicking both the accent and mannerisms of the Dutch officer I said, "The-school-end-or-the-cemetery-end?" And the boy said, "For f*** sake."

The humour was missed on the Dutch officers but the boys and I, when they realised I wasn't Dutch, had a good laugh. It remains a favourite moment in my travels.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Can't top that, brilliant.

David, It's Strathclyde Avenue.

Just recently, several of us travelled down to my daughters 'passing-off parade'.
Muggins here was on driving duty. One of the passengers in the car was my daughters best friend from Stirling.
I've known this girl and her family for the passed 6-8 years. She could out-talk a budgie.
Anyway, the conversation somehow got round to her revealing that her granddads family was originally from
Saltcoats. I was amazed. This man had been running my daughter and his granddaughter to & from school
every day for the best part of 4+ years and I don't find out that he's a threetowner until a few years after my
daughter leaves school. His name is Freddie McCulloch (not sure of spelling).
Think a brother named Charlie was mentioned ?
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

:lol:
Penny Tray wrote:On the 16th of October 1996, whilst seconded to Amsterdam in a plainclothes Football Liaison role, accompanied by two uniformed officers from the local Police Force, I attended a reported disturbance in the railway station adjacent to the Ajax Stadium. The perpetrators had of course fled the scene and the only people in the entire station were two young men attired in Glasgow Rangers colours, strangely standing on the platform which would take them away from the impending game. Because of this one of the Dutch Officers, in his slow deliberate English, asked, "What-are-you-doing?" - and one young guy replied, "We came to the game withouts tickets, clearly we're not going to them now, so we're going back to Amsterdam, hopefully in time to see the game on television." The conversation then went like this. "And-where-do-you-come-from?" - "Scotland." - "Of-course! But-what-part-of-Scotland?" - It's a place called Ayrshire" [at which my ears pricked up] "a town called Ardrossan." - "And-where-do-you-stay-in-this-town?" And the boy said, "It's a street called Stanley Road." And mimicking both the accent and mannerisms of the Dutch officer I said, "The-school-end-or-the-cemetery-end?" And the boy said, "For f*** sake."

Some great posts i have read . This is sublime