Melbourne Cafe ( mid 1960s)

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
georgemc
Settling In
Settling In

Melbourne Cafe ( mid 1960s)

Post by georgemc »

Hi Everybody,
How many remember the Melbourne Cafe during the mid 60s, it was the main meeting place for a lot of us at the weekends starting Friday nights,
a lot of kids used to come in from Ardrossan and Stevenston.
We would all sit there for hours listening to the juke box,with a roll and sausage( with or without ) and a bottle of Coke.
A guy called Chalmers was always walking about watching that there was'nt any trouble, and telling you if you sat to long ( without buying anything) that it was time to buy another Coke. ( hot Vimto in the Winter )
It was always a busy place with teenagers.
If a good picture was on at either the Regal or the La-Scala we would go on the Saturday night.
There was a shop half way down Hamilton street, that sold all the latest fashion, tab collar shirts/Dave Clarke 5 shirts, flared jeans e.t.c. we used to call it the teenage shop, but I do'nt know if that was the right name
There were two other Cafes that were also popular, the Eglinton and the Marina, they are both Pubs now.

Georgemcfarlane ( Sultanate of Oman ) :)
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Lynda »

I remember the Melbourne cafe well.I worked there about 71-72.It was still a busy cafe then.Chalmers was a great boss to work for and always made sure we got a lift home when it closed late on Saterday nights.The seats in the corner were always filled with the guys who had the motor bikes,at first I was a bit wary going to serve them but they usually had there order all worked out for us.They were nice to all us girls.
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

subject

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Hi Group.
the Melbourne was a meeting place for most people in the 1950's
as well . the narrow corner next the jukebox was where the
Auchinharvie Motor Cycle club sat after there meeting in
Auchinhaverie House. most of the cafes had there own special people.
best wishes. Ellen. :)
georgemc
Settling In
Settling In

Post by georgemc »

Hi Lynda,
Yeh, Chalmers was a nice guy, I think he used to look out for everybody,
and make sure everyone was OK.
He must have worked in the cafe for a very long time.
It was the same in the mid 60s with the bikers, they always sat in the corner nearest the shore,there bikes parked across the street on the grass verge.

georgemc
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Don't forget the West End cafe it was popular too though it wasn't so noticeable with such a small frontage. I mean you had to be seen therefore the Melbourne's goldfish bowl was ideal for posing. There was also the "Three Blind Mice" in Countess Street where they had a TV up the stairs. Saw Buddy Holly on Sunday Night at the London Palladium there so that would have been 1956ish. Great memories!
georgemc
Settling In
Settling In

Post by georgemc »

Hi Hugh,
Are you saying that the people who used the Melbourne are posers ? I
think you will cause a bit of a light hearted stir with that remark Ha Ha.

Georgemc
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

georgemc wrote:Hi Hugh,
Are you saying that the people who used the Melbourne are posers ? I
think you will cause a bit of a light hearted stir with that remark Ha Ha.
Georgemc
Hi George,
Yep, all posers in a goldfishbowl :P We'd only visited the Melbourne Cafe ocassionally on a Sunday evening during our "Monkey Walk" capers when we couldn't afford to go to the dance at the Ritz in Irvine. When we did the monkey walk we "did the walk". Tradition had to be maintained - we were the ones who kept it going while the chatter persisted in the Melbourne. Mind you we were always skint in those days so we kept walking :roll:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Was it Chalmer's old man who had the great fish and chip shop around the corner in Winton steet. I remember getting great haddock there - that would be back early 1960s..
georgemc
Settling In
Settling In

Post by georgemc »

Hi Hugh,
It was the same Italian family that owned the cafe and the fish and chip shop,I think Chalmers was related to them in some way ?
The chip shop is still there and still owned by the family, and yes it is still great fish and chips.
When I get back to Saltcoats I always manage to get a few fish suppers from them. :lol:

Georgemc
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Would love a haddock from the Plaza or Maroneys both at the top of Glasgow Street in Ardrossan. I always thought Reids in Stevenston at the Grange brae was a wee bit over rated though my wife being from Stevenston disagees. My personal favourite was Maroneys fish and the Plazas chips. Though for black puddings it was the Central Cafe across from the Ardrossan Co-op in Glasgow Street. They where knocking it down when I was back in 1978.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Lynda wrote:I remember the Melbourne cafe well.I worked there about 71-72.It was still a busy cafe then.Chalmers was a great boss to work for and always made sure we got a lift home when it closed late on Saterday nights.The seats in the corner were always filled with the guys who had the motor bikes,at first I was a bit wary going to serve them but they usually had there order all worked out for us.They were nice to all us girls.
Hi Lynda,
There are a few others in the past who have expressed similar recollections about Chalmers and working in the Melbourne Cafe. Can't think at present who they were but Perhaps they'll mention it again. Threetowners had a reunion in the Melbourne a few years ago. Sally now in Tasmania suggested it while on a trip back to saltcoats.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: subject

Post by hahaya2004 »

ellenyoung31 wrote:Hi Group.
the Melbourne was a meeting place for most people in the 1950's
as well . the narrow corner next the jukebox was where the
Auchinharvie Motor Cycle club sat after there meeting in
Auchinhaverie House. most of the cafes had there own special people.
best wishes. Ellen. :)
Hi Ellen,
I think a relative of mine must have been a member of the Auchenharvie Motor Cycle Club. He was definitely amongst the bikers in the Melbourne in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Stewart had a beautiful Harley. 8) He must have cleaned and polished that bike three times a day - it was always spotless. Great memories.....
Take care.....Irene :wink:
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)