Melbourne Cafe ( mid 1960s)

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Lynda »

Hi Bob

I think I remeber you though it was your brother james I knew better.I used to work in Mario's shop in canal street and my aunt stayed acroos the road from it.She is Cissy Farrell.If I am right you all stayed down the cottages years ago. :lol:
BobP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BobP »

Hello Lynda

Thanks for your reply You have the advantage on me, Was your maiden name farrell as I remember somewhere in the dark and distant past, a Lynda Farrell Is that you.

Yes James is my brother and he still lives in Saltcoats although I havent seen him for a couple of years

As a matter of interest,did you have a relative called Billy Farrel, I think his nickname was "Fronkie" If so, and you know what happened to him, I would be interested to know.

I hope over the next year or so to write something about growing up in Saltcoats and especially the bungalows so any information that you might have would be useful, I am thinking specifically about a family called the McGreals at the moment and wonder if you have any memory of them or their whereabouts

Happy New Year
BobP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BobP »

wellparkno9 wrote:Hi Rab,the fruit shop you spoke about belonged to Hilda Flemmings niece,she was called Helen Flemming.Do you remember the 4th Lanni brother ,he was always through the back shop,there was Tony,Phil,
Willie and Jossey ,regards,Sam.
Hi Sam thanks for the response and 10/10 for memory. Before I grew in to the joys of the Melbourne Cafe, it was a great place for a secret date if you did not want your pals to see you .

Come to think of it, they did a roll`n sausage in there but it was never as good as the Melbourne

I always wonder how the Lanni`s ended up in Saltcoats as their English/Scottish was not great. Wonder if they came over after the war.

Happy New Year
BobP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BobP »

hewmac wrote:Hi Bob,

Welcome to threetowners. last I heard you were in brchan. Nice to hear from you. :)
Thanks for your response and admitting me to the Forum. The Sydney branch is actually my younger brother Anthony who still remains there.

Happy New Year
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Bob,the Lanni family must have come over before the first war or just after it .I have seen a photo of Tony Lanni taken in the 1920's,it was in the West End Cafe's window some time ago.As far as I know Tony & PHil
were born in this country,but both did not speak very clearly.Lanni's was there when my Father was a boy,(first war & after)they used to call it
PEABRAY LANNI'S, because they used to sell hot peas.Regards ,Sam.
P.S.was Joe Pentleton ,the teacher your uncle?
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Lynda »

Hi Bob
Yes Farrell is my maiden name.I remeber you used to come up to St Andrew's school at lunch time and a few of us girls spoke to you.I havent seen James for a while myself though I do know he is now a grandad as young JP has a daughter Emily.Billy Farrell is my uncle and he is still down this area, he stays down bottom end of stevenston,his youngest daughter was married a few weeks ago.The other name you mentioned I cant place just now but I will take time and try to think back.
Happy new year
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Bob,you've just jogged my memory about the McGreals.I remember a
Kate McGreal ,she would be about 55 years old now,she had a younger sister ,cant mind her name.Were they no related to Charles Cairns and
Anthony Cairns?Regards Sam.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

The Melbourne Cafe was owned by the Tortolano's (think I've spelled it correctly). Chalmers was the son-in-law. I cannot recall one of the sons but the other was Aldo who married Anna Dorrian. They live in Ardrossan Road and Aldo has a chippie in Kilwinning.

From one of the guys who used to sit in the corner near the juke box.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

georgemc wrote:Hi Hugh,
It was the same Italian family that owned the cafe and the fish and chip shop,I think Chalmers was related to them in some way ?
The chip shop is still there and still owned by the family, and yes it is still great fish and chips.
When I get back to Saltcoats I always manage to get a few fish suppers from them. :lol:

Georgemc
I used to frequent the Melbourne in the late 70's. I think the guy was called Chalmers Roberts and I'm sure he was married to the owner's (Luigi Tortolano) sister.

The chip shop is now owned by Mark who fried for Luigi for many years. He is a really good guy (I know him well).

Not too sure who owns the actual cafe side now.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

hewmac wrote:Would love a haddock from the Plaza or Maroneys both at the top of Glasgow Street in Ardrossan. I always thought Reids in Stevenston at the Grange brae was a wee bit over rated though my wife being from Stevenston disagees. My personal favourite was Maroneys fish and the Plazas chips. Though for black puddings it was the Central Cafe across from the Ardrossan Co-op in Glasgow Street. They where knocking it down when I was back in 1978.
Hugh hate to make your teeth water but i had a terrific fish supper in the plaza just before Christmas this year, its still going strong, all spruced up with a nice sit in area. the Melbourne Cafe memories by the million, the bike club corner, Chamers the charmer. the Cafe was owned by the Tortolani family old Louie being the Godfather he had the fish and chip shop, and to test if the fat was warm enuogh to fry the fish, he would spit on it, if the spit bounced off then the fat was up to temerature. Chamers was his son inlaw. At new year old louie had open house, in his own house for all his regulars at the Cafe, I went there with my Pals one new year but don`t remember leaving The Cafe was a Great goldfish bowl all the best george
barbara
Settling In
Settling In

Post by barbara »

hi ther bob i myself stayed down the bungalows and often infact everyday strolled down or i should say skipped to marios yous were infact snobby compared to dunlops on the corner but yous couldnae beat veronicas at top shore bridge for the well fired rolls was just flicking through forum and noticed your enquiry about the magrails bridget was the mum her curly hair with her kirbies in each side and not to forget her long pinny lovely family tam was her hubby when bungalows sadly where pulled down as they say .Themagrails moved to largs they often visited my gran but as time goes on you lose contact i know charles stayed opposite the elms bar for a few year but im almost sure he passed away o good few year ago then there was jean and margaret unsure where they went too
Jimmym
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jimmym »

Hi Bob,
The Billy Farrel that you talk about if its the same one my mum ran about with him and brusher Jackson i worked with Billy in Fullarton Fab
he was staing in Stevenson i will ask my mum if he still stays there my mum is called Margaret McCallum From Blakely Road Married name Morell
I all so stayed in the Bungalows 21 Esplanade Cottages Next to the Bridge
at the shore hope this helps you .

Bestwishes Jimmy