Dog tracks

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Dog tracks

Post by georgersweir »

When I was young, there were two dog tracks in Irvine - both now long gone. I believe there was a dog track in Stevenston. Where there any others in the threetowns? Has the track area been re-used for anything else?
I'm still saving up for a signature.
louislojoma
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Dog tracks

Post by louislojoma »

Hi George,
where the dog track was in Stevenston is now the Auchenharvie golf driving range. I think many years ago Stevenston & District Motor Cycle Club held motor bike grass track racing there.

Louis.

P.S. Big T might remember.
Big T
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Big T »

Louis,
You got it right. It was right next to the Cheese Hill and behind the White Wife which as you said is now the practice area for the golf course. Opposite the racetrack was frews field and Stewarts A1 bus garage. Going back along Hillside street was the Sandy Hills where I spent most of my childhood.
Sorry to get away from the subject but these memories just keep coming.

Big T
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi George, Louis and Big T have already replied about the Stevenston track. I might be wrong but , I think it was the only track in the 3t's. Years ago it was quite common to see locals in Ardeer exercising their Greyhounds, also the stories of how races were fixed. :roll: or should I say how owners tried to manipulate the outcome.
I can only remember one track in Irvine, it was along Quarry Rd and was sectioned off from the playing fields (football parks), the changing ends were in Woodlands Av.
George , for some reason I have this memory of an area in there called "Little Hamden"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

little plum wrote:... I can only remember one track in Irvine, it was along Quarry Rd and was sectioned off from the playing fields (football parks), the changing ends were in Woodlands Av.
George , for some reason I have this memory of an area in there called "Little Hamden"
If I remember correctly, the other greyhound track was at Townhead, near the Drill Hall(?).

You are right about the Quarry Road location of the other track. It could be reached either through the playing fields or by a lane from Bank Street. In the playing fields, near the dog track, was one football pitch set in an oval with railings and a cinder running track around the perimeter. I think we called this 'Wee Hamden'. For some years, this area was used for the annual fireworks display. Also in this area, behind Wee Hamden and toward the dog track, were the remains of the old Caley Station. I do remember, as a pre-teen, climbing through a fence and finding the remains of sheds and a platform...
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Years ago it was quite common to see locals in Ardeer exercising their Greyhounds, also the stories of how races were fixed. :roll: or should I say how owners tried to manipulate the outcome.[/quote]
LP,
I have been told one of the ways they manipulated the outcome was to feed the dog on Short's pies just before the race, they would do this over a few races until the betting odds improved. When the odds were favourable they would starve the dog before the race and bet heavily on the outcome. I can't say for certain whether this was true or just an urban legend. :roll:
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

meekan wrote:I have been told one of the ways they manipulated the outcome was to feed the dog on Short's pies just before the race,
meekan ( 16 my a--e) I was informed by a dog owner, many years ago, that he used this along with other practices on more than one occasion. I couldn't verify they were Shorts pies. I remember a story about one of the owners, ( I wont use a name) heading to the track and visiting the Station bar for a pie and pint, he obviously knew the other dogs in the race and fed his dog a pie and a pint and put money on it's rival. Other techniques was to change their wire head guard to a lead one to keep their head down, and elastic bands around the privates of a dog. Ouch that one might be a winner. :lol: :lol: :lol:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

You see, (most, if not all) women wouldn't do that..I think we're more evolved.. :roll:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

I remember being at Stevenston "Dug track" racing one night when I was about 6 or 7 .
The hare was driven by hand, there was some kind of wheel with pedals, like an upturned bike.It was somehow connected to the hare and you had to turn it by hand.
This particular evening the person turning the wheel didn't turn it fast enough and the leading greyhound caught it. A fight ensued among the dogs, and the hare got ripped to shreds.
Last edited by chriso on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idiot - seeks village.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

Now that dog racing has practically disappeared, what has happened to all the greyhounds? I've heard that they make great pets. The actress Annette Crosbie is an outspoken supporter of greyhound adoption. This site seems to be UK based and receives celebrity support from Annette and others.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

George, I'm sure I've read somewhere of a local organisation that re-homes retired Greyhounds. I've also heard they make great pets.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

Am I correct in thinking that the second dog track in Irvine was in fact called 'Townhead', the results of which, incidentally, appeared in most national newspapers? Access gates, as I recall, not that I ever attended a race meeting there, were actually situated in Broomlands Drive (off the Townhead).

Both local tracks were a family concern but I can't recall the name of the family?

I was also interested in Little Plum's recollection of Little Hampden. Every schoolboy wanted to play there because the set-up was a cut above most public parks. I played against Irvine Bank Street and St. Michaels there.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.