" A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

" A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Post by little plum »

Had a wee chat with bobbydarg a few days ago, and he was keen to start a walk around Stevenston but asked me to start it off. The first problem we thought of was, where to start, after agreeing the bottom end, it also posed a problem of " the pillar box or the point". Both have been covered in previous posts, but if anyone wants to revisit it , then that will be fine, as all input is more than welcome.
As we walk from Stevenston point the rocky shoreline gives way to sand dunes covered in sea grass. A cut from this sea grass felt ten times worse than a paper cut. Many families, local or day trippers, would spend the day there with a picnic. The sand would get into your piece and under the lid of your ginger, when taking the top off it made you cringe. It never stopped us enjoying the fare. The swings sat to the left on our walk, first was the roundabout and yankee swing then the big swings, the chute, then the baby swings . After this sat a monument, still on the left hand side, I don't remember the details but I remember part of the inscription, it was "STEVENSTOUNE".
A wee saunter further on, on the right hand side sat the kiosk with it's tea room and wee shop. I always found it very colourful with it's display of wares, spades, pails and inflatables. On the left was the paddling pool, but to us it was a swimming pool. :D . A little bit further on to the right was waste ground and was used every year by "Whites Shows"
Doubling back on ourselves and taking the road towards the station, on the right hand side sat the first aid hut, not sure what service manned it. On the left beside the kiosk there was a cast iron drinking well, and on many a hot summers day I quenched my thirst. A few yards along sat the putting green, the wee green hut being managed by a Mrs Young , from my memory.
Continuing along this road we get to shore road and the post office.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: " A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Post by meekan »

LP
when my kids were younger I took them to a circus around that area. It was a very small circus and there was a lot of audience participation.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Across the road from the putting green as you walked to the station, was a garden that every year grew immensely tall Scottish thistles.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

As you walk on bye the post office there 's " White's " church, many a happy night i spent in the church hall attending the 1st Stevenston BBs. The captain was Mr Lockhart " Jimmy" to his friends, and what a great leader he was.
He also was in charge of the senior football team, which won everything going in the years i played. Our greatest rivals were the 3rd Stevenston company, it was like Rangers v Celtic, but i can honestly say they very rarely beat us.
Moving on up the street there was Gilmour's wee shop which sat next to the church, and across the road was the tearoom which has featured in many a post. Then came the Ardeer Halls, the BBs used this a lot for their displays which were done in a very regimented way. We had a gymnastic display, and some sort of syncranised marching, add in a bit of singing, a first aid display and the prize giving and you can get the idea.
I can recall the higher grade and the primary school holding their "Easter Parade" in the halls as well. This extravagansa consisted of every primary class doing a little something. I was involved in a sketch when i was in primary 2, which was the "Teddy bears picnic" mummy bear was Margaret Thompson, daddy bear was Roy Douglas and guess who was baby bear, that's right yours truly.
If memory serves me right our costumes were made from hessian sacks which were very loose fitting. One night during the three bears walk round the picnic table, my costume slipped to cover my eyes, which resulted in me falling off the stage. Thank the lord there were no video cameras. This spectacular always ended with the last year pupils doing an opera. These were very well rehersed pieces of entertainment, with only the best singers getting the staring rolls. We have done the "Pirates of Penzants" and the "Mikado" which if i'm not mistaken our very own Anne McBride took one of the lead rolls? A bit of a chanter is our Anne.
Any way i digress from my walk.Across the road from the "halls" was the wee dairy, and next door was Armours which i think was a hardwear store, then there was Gilmour's a grocery shop.
On the same side as the "halls" was Joe's cafe, then a bakers, it may have been Parks. Next to that was Sawyers's paper shop, If i remember correctly up the close there lived a boy, i forget his name, but he owned a monkey. My big cousin Christine Allan lived up the close as well. You know, i'm getting stuck with the next shop, so maybe LP could take us on the next stage, and cold fill in the remaining shops down below the station gates.
OLDPHOTOGRAPHSOFSTEVENSTON088.jpg
Last edited by bobbydarg on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by mckay47 »

bobbydarg wrote:On the same side as the "halls" was Tognari's cafe,
I always knew that cafe as "Joe's Cafe" Bobby.... Also I remember the Mikado being performed in Ardeer Halls by the seniors at Stevenston Higher Grade... it was an awsome production.
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

Correct on both points. :oops:
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by mckay47 »

Were you in the production Bobby? I was a senior myself the year they put on the Mikado at Ardeer Halls, though I was no singer!!! but I did dance the can-can in that show, with Janet Pattison, Janet McDonald, Florence Bambridge, Helen Agnew,and Helen Seton... Janet Pattison is now in Kilwinning, does anyone know where the others are?. Glad you started this walk :)
Betty
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

Don't think i was in that one, but i was in the other two. I used to love helping to design and build the scenery.
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by mckay47 »

bobbydarg wrote:Don't think i was in that one, but i was in the other two. I used to love helping to design and build the scener
The year I was referring to was 1962 I believe Bobby, think the productions that you were in would have come later than that.
Betty
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

It must have been around the same time, maybe Anne could help?
Aileen Shaw
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aileen Shaw »

Hi Betty
I was Florence's flower girl at her wedding in 1965 she lived across the road from us in Wallace Ave and after she married to Keith Elvey she moved down to Kendal, 1968 she seperated from Keith and she moved back to her mum and dads house, in the 70's she moved down to St Ives in Cambridgeshire she got married to Rodger Bell and she had 3 children Anthony, Francoise and Dominic. she visited her parents twice a year with her family. Florence and Rodger were at my wedding in 1977 and we visited to her house she was just like a big sister to me. Sadly Florence had cancer in1990 and she passed away. I miss her so much and I have lost contact with Rodger and the family it is so sad.
Aileen
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

B.D., can I take a step back for a minute. Do you remember the wee shop at the start of Trelawney Terr. It was called Campbell Blairs. It sold the best apple and pear ice lollies anywhere. It sat on waste ground opposite a large red sandstone building which was part of Ardoch Cres.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons