Barr Place/Kilmahew Street/Montgomerie Street

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Barr Place/Kilmahew Street/Montgomerie Street

Post by Penny Tray »

Poppy,

It was the Castle Cafe run by the Maroni family.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
jdd007
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jdd007 »

32 Barr Place Ardrossan 2.jpg
I know this thread is quite old, but I thought you might like to see the attached photo.

I lived at 32 Barr Place from birth in 1956 until 1960, when my family moved to Thurso.

The photo is of children playing in the houses being demolished behind Barr Place. That's me (John Dorrian) sitting at the bottom, with my sister Veronica standing next to me and my sister Ann sitting two steps above me. I'm told that one day I opened a door on the first floor of one of the houses and walked in; the only problem was there was no floor - it had been demolished. I survived to tell the tale.

I hope you enjoy.

Regards,

John
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Welcome to threetowners, John. What a great photo, thanks for posting. What a dangerous play area for kids. :shock: Love to see such photos on the way we were. :)
jdd007
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jdd007 »

Penny,

The memories remain even if the buildings are gone.

I remember many things about 32 Barr Place even though I was quite young.

Does anyone remember ten pound notes raining down over the butcher's shop?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

That's a new one on me. I must have been in doctor McCann's surgery or across the road singing my heart out so Jesus could save me in the Gospel hall. Would love to know what I missed out on! :roll:
huey1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huey1 »

Hi
I don't remember Barr Place but I do remember the Gospel Hall, some days I cant remember my wifes name but I can still recite the Books of the Bible that they drummed into your head at Sunday School.
huey1
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Bryden »

My family ( Mum,Dad my elder brother & myself ) lived in Barr Place until moving up to 3 Churchill Drive in 1953. Can't recall when we moved TO Barr Pl. though. I do recall that after my brother & I were born Mum & Dad tried to get better accommodation for us. Dad was a painter & decorator for the Burgh Council. The Barr Place properties had actually been condemned & were going to be demolished. Eventually Dad was offered one of those " condemned " properties ON CONDITION HE DID IT UP which considering his trade was no problem. In fact he improved our little home to such an extent that when we shifted to Churchill Drive the Council re-let the property which apparently didn't please some of the neighbours who'd been looking forward to being re-housed in modern accommodation.

I don't have any photos of Barr Place while we lived there but took some myself when back on my only return visit in 1974 - big changes all right.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Bob,

Firstly, nice to see you posting again. Secondly, if you still have photos of Barr Place and are able to post them, I'd love to see them.
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Bryden »

Probably a long shot but does anyone who remembers my family living in Barr Place recall what No. we lived at ? I was only 2 years old when we moved up to 3 Churchill Drive so was too young to recall it myself.

Bob
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

Barr Place Area, January 1974.

Tom McGrattan
Attachments
Glasgow Street January 1974.jpg
Central Bar, Castle Cafe 1974.jpg
Central Bar Castle Cafe January 1974.jpg
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Bob Bryden wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:35 am I was only 2 years old when we moved up to 3 Churchill Drive so was too young to recall it myself.

Bob
Bob I don’t know about where you lived previously but I do remember you staying in Churchhill Drive I stayed in Whitecraig Road. You stayed next to the lad Wilson who stayed in the 1000 house
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Bob,

If I remember right, walking from Glasgow Street toward Montgomerie Street, your family lived in the last house on the left before you entered the pend where all the houses on the landing above the Brydens were No. 10. I'm guessing therefore that you lived at No. 8 Barr Place.

Incidentally, what I think is the intimation of your birth appears in the 26/1/1951 issue of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald but unfortunately only "Barr Place" is recorded in the abbreviated database entry. However, if you were born at home, would the full address not appear on your birth certificate? Failing that, can you remember who occupied the house before your parents - possibly they might have made family intimations in the Herald together with their house number?