A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Post by morag »

The flask is on Windmill St., the Hip Flask on Winton, not connected I think. (Robertson's was a slaughterhouse too)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

PT., Yes, the old memory was nearly playing me tricks! It was the ham curers of course. Oh the thought of the smell of ham curing is making my eyes, but I have to ask, what disease did cured ham actually have?

Alex
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Alexmac442 wrote:what disease did cured ham actually have? Alex
slaughteritis?

Meg
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thank you very much Morag, no wonder I was confused, and so would anyone else be who hadn't been in Saltcoats lately.

Susan
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I know, Susan. The reunion farewell was at the Hip Flask...guess who wandered into the flask and wondered where everyone was? :roll: :lol:
C.S.Lewis
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

morag wrote:The flask is on Windmill St., the Hip Flask on Winton, not connected I think. (Robertson's was a slaughterhouse too)
I'm pretty sure that the Mclaughlan brothers own both the Hip Flask and the Flask. The Hip Flask was their first venture into the restaurant business, their main business was building construction.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Would that be the family from Adams Ave?
C.S.Lewis
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Morag, There was a family of McLaughlans in Adams Ave. Pat was the father's name.They were not connected to the Builders.McLaughlan the Builder lived in Springvale Place opposite the bowling club, Sam.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

One place there's no doubt about the location of , and that's the Melbourne; still there I believe today. The Melbourne Cafe on the Hamilton St corner; beside it , down Winton St, the Melbourne Fry. Just one small point; was there anything in the building past that, on the corner of Park Road ? I've seen a reference in one advert to them having an amusement arcade as well, so perhaps that was in there.

Most don't mention it though, and it's not in this otherwise very detailed one from 1967:
phpowZlRyAM.jpg
The Melbourne is so famous among Threetowners that it's been discussed many times on this site, and whole topics have been largely devoted to it; including The Melbourne Cafe, The Monkey Walk, etc. Meg worked there, we've heard; and Hughie himself frequented it long ago, in days when he was still only dreaming dreams of another Melbourne far away.

So I don't suppose there's a lot more to be said about it here. Certainly I haven't anything to add. My family thought highly of the Melbourne's fish and chips, but I was far too young and innocent to go hanging around in cafes, and I only ever set foot in the place once. So when you're ready you'll find me round the corner in a much more familiar place, namely Cavani's.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun May 16, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Susan,

I have a very distant recollection of a small inset amusement arcade just beyong the chip shop but I never associated it with the Tortalono's. I can see old Mr. Tortolano cleary in my mind. I think his name was Luigi? You would have died for one of his 'special' fish suppers - done in breadcrumbs, I think was the retail description. The cafe was always referred to as 'The Goldfish Bowl', probably a very apt description.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Susan, P.T. is right about a wee amusment arcade.It was what is now part of the Melbourne Fry sitting room.It was there about '65 '66 and it was looked after by Chalmers. Sam.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

As I remember it the old man who made the fish and chips did more than his fair share of swearing while he was making the chips etc. I remember the fish and chips were great as were his Fritters Mmmm. The cafe was a great gathering point for youngsters and had an up and downstairs and a balcony if I remember correctly. I prefered the West End and hot vimto on a cold night.