HMS Hood at Ardrossan in 1926

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

HMS Hood at Ardrossan in 1926

Post by Mitchy »

The 'mighty Hood' visited Ardrossan in 1926, to drop off troops during the General Strike. With a displacement of 42,000 tons, was she the largest ship ever to visit Ardrossan? Indeed, the official Royal Navy Website lists her as the largest Warship in the World at the time of commissioning in 1920, so there's a fair chance she still held that title at the time.

Flickr image no longer available. See this added image:
download/file.php?id=4458&mode=view

http://www.flickr.com/photos/topmast/36 ... 497302607/
Last edited by Hughie on Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: HMS Hood at Ardrossan in 1926

Post by meekan »

Mitchy,
one of the things I enjoy about this site is the things you learn here, I never knew about HMS Hood's visit.
Great post.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meekan,

I came across that photo last Saturday and saved it to "my favourites" for a later posting to ask if anybody knew what the ship was - BUT NOT FOR ONE MINUTE DID I KNOW IT WAS HMS HOOD.

Brilliant post.

Was your faither aboard?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

He wid be in the bookies in Glesga street at the time :lol:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Mitchy,

I hadn't realised when I posted this photo at the week-end that these were actually soldier who had been landed from HMS Hood. Apparently they were deployed at the Docks and the Admiralty Fuel Storage tanks to protect these facilities during the strike. And, of course, were billeted at the Caley Station. Thanks again for the post. Very interesting piece of local history.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/3650 ... 0c58_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Penny Tray wrote:Mitchy,

I hadn't realised when I posted this photo at the week-end that these were actually soldier who had been landed from HMS Hood. Apparently they were deployed at the Docks and the Admiralty Fuel Storage tanks to protect these facilities during the strike. And, of course, were billeted at the Caley Station. Thanks again for the post. Very interesting piece of local history.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/3650 ... 0c58_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi PT,

I did notice the photo you posted was from that set. I don't think the photo of the Hood really does her justice to be honest. Tom McGrattan was telling me she was longer than the current Arran Ferry and the largest Tanker to visit Ardrossan put together. Her beam at the widest point was also more than twice that of the current Arran Ferry. It must have been a very imposing sight as she entered the harbour. We reckon she may have had to anchor at the point where the photo was taken and have the troops ferried off in smaller craft. If you look at the photo there is a rope on the Bollard which indicates a vessel was already moored at Montgomerie Pier. All of this was well discussed in the pub last night!!!!

Mitchy
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Mitchy,

Funny I was wondering where on earth she must have berthed but your account maybe explains that she anchored off. I'm still thrilled that she visited.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

I was particulary interested in the truck the soldiers were on. The back wheels dis not appear to have tyres on them. It looks to me like some sort of hard compound moulded onto the rims. I had never seen anything like that even when I was lad growing up in Saltcoats, I was not aware of such technology way back then. Can anyone throw more light on the tyres.

Wee Boney
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Wee Boney,
Looks to me as if it has solid rubber tyres, the technology would have been available because the solid tyre was I believe the fore runner of the pneumatic tyre. A solid tyre would probably have been easier to manufacture than a pneumatic tyre assembly. (carcass, inner tube, and valve assembly etc.) On pre-war vehicles, buses, trucks, carts etc it was the norm. to have solid tyres.
On an army truck there would be advantages over the pneumatic tyre in that it would be resistant to punctures caused by enemy fire. (modern army trucks have steel mesh moulded into the carcass.) I wouldn't liked to have been sitting in the back of the truck as it would be more than a little bumpy.
The tyre is considered to be part of the overall suspension of the modern day vehicle as it has a cushioning effect between the vehicle and the road.
I hope this helps.
am08
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

HMS Hood, Ardrossan Harbour

Post by am08 »

Someone I know is looking for a picture of the above for their collection and I can remember seeing one on this forum. However when I click the link to Flickr on the post it doesn't show, as if the picture has now been deleted. I wonder if anyone has one or can direct me in the right direction. Thank you.
Last edited by Hughie on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with original topic
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

If you are using a kindle or anything like that it may make a difference.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

Are we saying HMS Hood docked in Ardrossan?

Looking at her dimensions especially her draught I find it hard to believe. Where did she tie up. The old tanker berth or the Isle of Man berth

Frank Brand.