FANCY GAUN FOR A WALK? Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: FANCY GAUN FOR A WALK? Ardrossan

Post by Penny Tray »

Little Plum,

I don't recall any previous discussion around the Salvation Army or its personnel. Neither do I recall, from personal experience, any house in Montgomerie Street that I could link with the Salvation Army.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

P.T. , my mate had the notion of a hostel along there run by the Salvation Army. :smt102
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

LP you've got me beat too, but I will make inquiries. :?
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

down south wrote:Allan's address was 71 Glasgow St. Often visited by my father, along with all the other ironmongers , electrical shops and other similar places relevant to DIY and fixing things in the district.

My mother meanwhile was a great one for greengrocers' shops; and as well as Veronica's there was at least one, and I think two, more of those among the smaller shops along the stretch we've just been covering up to here. The one I particularly remember was a tiny half-sized shop, very basic with a wooden floor and most of the goods in sacks, but she still seemed to think it was worth a look. That was a bit further down than we're at now;typical of many a little shop in those days.

Susan
Would that be Stewart & Murray's fruit & veg shop. Old Miss Murray and her main assistant who lived in McKellar Ave ... will remember her name (later) my mother (Gladys Nelson) worked in there on and off when she wasn't dressmaking.

The question about Allan's the Painters Shop just a few posts before refers to Lex Allan the musician. Yes he was part of the business there and played with either or both of the Back o' Town Syncopators and Clyde Valley Stompers and was a motor biker although he also had a fabulous Humber Super Snipe, what a class motorcar.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Just spent a few enjoyable hours tonight doing the walk again, some lovely discussions and friendly patter, what's happened ? :smt102
The reason I was back there again was I thought we had mentioned the name of the terrace across from the Plazzo at the top of Glasgow Street. Can someone remind me what it as called? Was it Beresford?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meekan, - Inglefield Terrace.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

Penny tray refers to the house at the lane leading to Rowanside Terrace. This house was occupied by Rab.( Big Rab ) Muir , and Annie. His wife . I always found them to be a lovely couple. Rab was indeed an avid gardener. His grassy areas were on a par with any bowling green. He did also as stated breed budgies.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:51 pm I wonder how many folk kept budgies and canaries in the Three Towns in those days?

There was always a beautiful display in the back garden of the first house in Montfode Drive, Ardossan. You got right up against the aviary as you walked down the lane that joined Dalry Road and Rowanside Terrace. And I don't remember a boy - good, bad or indifferent causing them a penny worth of harm.
I obviously couldn't remember the name at the time Tapnagol, but Mr. Muir was indeed the gentleman who kept the budgies.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

tapnagol wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:48 am . His grassy areas were on a par with any bowling green. .
I don't know how people achieve these things. :shock:
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Just thought I'd add this link to the Glasgow Street walk :

Some terrific images of the shops of Glasgow Street in 1963 can be seen here :

https://canmore.org.uk/site/205037/ardr ... et-general

Susan
Angusmack
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Angusmack »

Fobel was a franchise like McDonalds, Avon etc. onalds where the stock was purchased from the parent company, my dad owned the business in partnership in Princes Street later moving to larger premises in Barr Street.