The Jubilee Bar, Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

The Jubilee Bar, Saltcoats

Post by Mitchy »

Who remembers the Jubilee Bar in Saltcoats? A unique pub - outside toilets with no roof and the passengers sitting upstairs in the buses could see people who were in there. Anyone remember when it finally closed? around 1979/80 would be my guess.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: The Jubilee Bar, Saltcoats

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

i remember it well, it wasnt my regular but i did go in there occasionally,and those outside toilets lol you couldnt get away with such a thing now,the pool table i remember had holes instead of pockets,pool tables had just been introduced then,im not sure when it closed its doors though.
James Barr (brvhrtjimmy)
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

Mitchy wrote:Who remembers the Jubilee Bar in Saltcoats? .
I must be getting old as my memory is fadeing a little bit! Was the Jubilee Bar in Countess St on the corner of Main Street? If it was then it was one of my father's favourite haunts. After a while he became a temporary barman there. I only went in there if I ran out of money and tried to borrowed from him (at the same time a free pint of heavy was always welcomle) but, the pub was not my ' cup of tea ').

While on the subject of money (only truthfull answers please!!) was anyone else like me? I borrowed so much that a weeks wages (not much in those days about £3-£4) was used up to pay back what I had borrowed and then I had to borrow again. An eternal circle.
Tony
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Tony ,The Jubilee was on the corner of Countess St and Vernon St. I wonder if any one knows when it changed its name to The Jubilee.An uncle of mine worked in it as a celler-boy in about 1930 .He told me the name used to be "The Dunedin Arms" .The only thing I can think of is ,that maybe in Queen Victoria's jubilee year 1887, it was changed to The Jubilee.Can any one shed any light on this.Regards, Sam.
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

wellparkno9 wrote:The Jubilee was on the corner of Countess St and Vernon St.
Thanks Sam. As I say my memories of dear old Saltcoat are getting dimmer. Please enlighten me: did Main St. stop when it crossed Chapelwell St, with a church on the corner on its way down to Vernon St.(I don't mean that the church was on its way down to Vernon St.)? Oh the good old days when a weedding took place and we as kids scrambled for the pennies and bawbees that were thrown out of the bridal car.
Also was Green St. where the cop-shop was a side St of Vernon St. with Dockhead St. at the other end? I think there was also a habidashery and miliners shop in Green St.
Tony
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Hi Tony,do you mean Manse St. not Main St and the church was Erskine church (my church) then down Vernon St. turn right ,police station on the left and the co-op on the right
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Tony ,First of all ,its Manse St. not Main St. But your right about everything else. Manse St. used to be known as the Crofthead.It joins Vernon St. which used to be known as the Drakemyre,at the foot of the Gasworks Brae.There was a Milliners in both Green St. and Chaplewell St.and I cant remember the names of them .If MaggieT reads this ,she may know the names of them.Regards, Sam. P.S.Does the name Rutherford ring a bell?
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

Hi,I remember Margaret Rutherford think that was the Milliners Sam.no sure.
leprikon59
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by leprikon59 »

Im confused. what was the name of the pub at the corner of green st / vernon st was it the jubilee or was it to do with rabbie burns?
For some scenic photos of Ardrossan & the West Coast click here http://www.youtube.com/leprikon59
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi,the pub on the corner of Green St and Vernon St. was The Rabbie Burns,Known to the locals as "Smalls"Regards ,Sam.
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

Milda wrote:Hi Tony,do you mean Manse St. not Main St
Hi Milda and Sam,

Manse Street it is. Thanks for correcting me. As far as the miliners go I only remember it because my mum used to drag me in there. By the way she always came out with the one she was wearing when she went in. Typical woman in those days when hats were the fashion and they had to have their heads covered when they went to church.
Maggie T, thats a nice hat in your avator. Where did you get that hat.
Sorry that is taking me away from the original subject of the 'Jubilee. Sam you seem to know all about the pubs in Saltcoats ...mmmm lol
Tony
rencpy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by rencpy »

Good post Mitchy,
The Rabbie Burns was locally known as 'Smalls' because
it was owned and run by a family with the surname Small.
The last member of that family who I remember working
in there was Susan Blair (nee Small) who worked, I think, until
it closed. We played in a football team called Caley United and
that was our home base round about 1976/77. It closed a while
after this along with the Jubilee to make way for a mini regeneration
before what is currently now standing. So, mitchy you'll not be far
away with that date.