a saltcoats author

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

a saltcoats author

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

hi all i didnt even know this lady existed, as she is from saltcoats ive posted it here. i wonder if anyone knows or knows of her. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/sep/12/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Brvhrtjimmy (James Barr)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: a saltcoats author

Post by Hughie »

Very interesting Jimmy. You can read all about her and her books on her web page it's at: http://www.galloway.1to1.org/ She was born in 1955 and went to the Academy.
barbara
Settling In
Settling In

Post by barbara »

hi janice galloway the author has included fearless in her childhood memories, good reading but alas her memories differ from mine but then i suppose as a family member they would im quite sure yous would enjoy these short stories worth reading if anyone manages to they could post back there thoughts
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

I have just finished reading Janice's memoirs.I actually knew some of her family,I thoroughly enjoyed it although I shed tears for that poor lonely child who was definately mistreated by a much older sister.I am so glad she is a happy lady today with a good husband and son.Now looking forward to the second part. Milda
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Sam or Maggie T do either of you remember Janice Galloway? She lived in Wellpark Rd. for a while around 1961.I was away by 1957
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Milda, I remember Janices mother and father.They lived in the new houses in Wellpark Rd,you know where the orchards were.Mr Galloway had the paper shop in Raise St.It used to be Balfours. After Galloway's , Johnny Graham took it over .Mrs Galloway was a very nice woman. Regards, Sam.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Thanks Sam,yes I knew her mum but through other family because I knew two of Janice's aunts on her father's side.My mum and dad were friendly with Mamie and David Smith (who I also called aunt and uncle as you did in those times).Do you remember them,for a while they lived in an attic flat in Raise Street ,beside where the garage used to be and had a son Donald? then they moved up the scheme? I can't remember her dad,but I probably did know him.I have a photo of Nora the sister,we were flower girls along with three other girls at the same wedding,but I was only about 2 or 3 then. Anyway thanks for answering .Regards Milda
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Milda ,I dont remember Mamie or David but I know the attics you refer to.The Currlets had a building before the Garage and one after the garage,numbers 13 and 21.Just about half of the newly married folk in Saltcoats used to sub-let with the Currlets, I think.Regards Sam.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Sam,I have a funny feeling that was Janice's aunt Grace's married name and she was Mamie's sister .Milda
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Listened to her book "This is not about me" which featured as a book at bedtime on Radio 4 last week. Now got the hardback book to read - really enjoying the first couple of chapters.

Meg
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Meg .Regards Milda
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »