Some things I remember !

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Some things I remember !

Post by little plum »

Anne wrote:What did you do with the frogs ?

Anne
Set them free Anne ,thus saving thier lives,mind you we did play with them for a wee while. Do you remember the lorry that went along the streets clearing the drains. A man would lift the drain cover off using 2 metal rods and then lower a large hose in to the drain. This hose was attached to the tank on the lorry and the engine would rev up as it sucked everything out the drain. :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

I remember leaning on my elbows just looking out my Grampa McCallum's window on Parkend Rd.and saw a man walking down on the other side of the road towards me, and being so nosy I yelled over, hey mister what have you got in your sack?. It's a bag of kittens and I'm taking them down to drown them he said with a grin on his face. I can still see that face, I nearly fell as I was scrambling to get to my Grampa and Mom to tell them and pleaded with them to tell the man to wait. My Mom did and we went down to talk to him, Mom said I could have one of the kittens but I wanted all of them. The mean man said well you can only save one so get on with it, I reached into the bag and picked one without looking and I loved that wee thing and had him for years. I guess that's where my love for animals all started. Silly story but true. :(
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Oh Josephine, what a lovely wee story. Mind you, if that had happened today the man would probably have been charged with animal cruelty.

Meg
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

Meg Gordon wrote:Oh Josephine, what a lovely wee story. Mind you, if that had happened today the man would probably have been charged with animal cruelty.

Meg
Well there you go Meg we have made some progress eh?. :roll: :wink:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Josephine, Well told hen! But it did saddened me to read it because it brought back memories for me. When I was a young apprentice moulder at Ardrossan's Winton Foundry around 1960. One of the older men arrived at work with a sack full of kittens and put them into the water trough till they all drowned. He then climbed the stairs to the Furnace platform and threw the sack into the furnace - I Never forget that.

Don't know where I get the saftness fae. Must tell you all one day of how four of us Ardrossan lads went rabbiting here in Oz with ferrets, although we caught a few we couldn't bring ourselves to kill them.
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Hello Josephine.
that is a lovely story, and I do think you get
your love of animals from but it must have been
there to start with.
Best wishes, Ellen.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hughie wrote:Don't know where I get the saftness fae
Where ever you got it fae Hughie - dont gie it back - it's what makes you, you - if you know what I mean.

Meg
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hugh, I remember that day well.
As each one of you came into my kitchen the number of rabbits that you caught increased, but each one said, but they got away. Then the truth came out, it was more like "Pass the parcel". Not one of you had the heart to kill the wee things.
That's why you are all still such lovely men.
Netta
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

An old topic worth reading again - from the start //perfect
Tommy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Tommy »

Just thought l would add in a few things l remember from when l was in school such a long time ago sort of hope it might jog a few memories in some others who were around at that time .
I left Stevenston around 1969.

There was a few of us from St Johns class of 1966 used to hang around together and if any of them are still out there hope this gets them thinking.We used to have some great times but thinking about it now some of the
Things we did were quite scary.

The White wife pond just behind the old St Johns school just near their alongside the old rail tracks there was a scrap yard full of old scrap cars. We used to get the roofs from these old cars turn them upside down in the water add an old oil drum to sit on and away we went on our home made raft. There was no thought of life jackets then . The trick was to not move to fast and keep it balanced or the raft flooded and sunk l am happy to say this did not happen to me not too sure just how deep it was or how we would have gotten back to shore if it did but hey we were invincible then weren't we ?.We spent a lot of our long school holidays playing there.

Kerlaw

The castle had some caves behind it we used to sit there with a great fire going telling each other ghost stories and scaring ourselves to death.We would put tattles in the fire and eat them while we doing this.
After we had scared the hell out of ourselves and it was pitch dark off to one end of the cave there was some very narrow twisting tunnels l think they were an old fox den in the past we would dare each other to crawl through them in total darkness they came up outside the cave about 30 feet away , but you wouldn't dare not do it or your life wouldn't be worth living. That was our way of getting thrills no Xbox or PS3 then.
This would usually end with someone screaming hysterically that they had seen a ghost and every one would charge off screaming and run home.
I remover one night this happened lol had just got a new coat that day and tried to run through a barbed wire fence ripping the coat did l get it from my mother when l got home.

I think the scariest one thinking back now was sliding on the ice on the the old quarry some years you could go all the way out on the ice to the island .Again l have no idea how deep that water is and there would be a bunch of us on the ice at one time. I remember on one of my trips back later in life standing on the bank and looking into the water where l could see a submerged car under the water so it was pretty deep. In places.

Anyone out there remember any of these maybe you can fill in some details or add some but not everything we did was as crazy.

Cheers,
Tommy
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Tommy they estimated that the Ardeer quarry was over a hundred feet deep and consequently it took a gey hard frost to freeze it over. I think the time your fiends were able to walk to the island would have been 1963 when everything froze. What a time that was, when the thaw came, burst pipes everywhere, because few folk knew about lagging their pipes. Still have the old crock water bottles that kept us warm in bed and I'm loathe to part with them. Scotland have my bones.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

large felt skirts and pshycadelic socks.
Playing hoola hoop in the playground.
running up to the public school with my school bag to be first in line and then running home again for breakfast.
Listening to the Christian singer in his van down on the beach and getting sweeties for singing 'running over'
Going to the fair and getting candy floss
Playing Midnight Putting with our father who usually won.
Sailing our boats in the boating pond.
Sunday School at the beautiful Landsborough Church. Whatever happended to all the beautiful mahogany furniture that was in that church?
Going to the brownies in the church hall where is now Sainsburys.
Later - Foam backed coats - ugh- and stiletto heels.
Chalmer Roberts playing Acker Bilk.
In the Melbourne Caffe Day and Night.
The Clyde Coast buses waiting across the road.
School sports games at Ardeer Rec. ground. Singing and Dancing to 'Brasil'
Christmas childrens parties at Ardeer Hall.